DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear experts,

Few months ago I invited contractors to install a liner for my oil burner chimney. It was before the heating season started. Later a person from my oil company came for tune-up. And then we started using the oil burner to heat the house. But strong smell appeared, so we thought the technician did something wrong during tuning up the system. So we invited one of them again. But he did not find anything wrong, accept a too small diameter of the duct that connected the burner elbow duct and the new liner. So I invited the chimney people again, and they replaced the connector. But the odor still did not go away. I don't know what to think now, and who to invite. Could you please give me any advice? The liner is 5'', and the burner opening is 5'', and part of the duct between the burner and the liner is 6''.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
39,648 Posts
The flue/pipe between the furnace and liner should not increase and then decrease.

Do you get the smell the whole time the furnace is running. or just when it starts.

Reactions: dpreznik

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The flue/pipe between the furnace and liner should not increase and then decrease.
Yes, I know. But I was told that 1'' is not enough to make a difference, and that it is not against the code. Is it not true?
Do you get the smell the whole time the furnace is running. or just when it starts.
I am not sure, but it seems like it is not only when it starts.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Oil odors come from leaks or ill advised tune-up's.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was not sure, but after your question I started to pay attention, and now I think it is very possible, that most of it happens in the beginning. What should it mean?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Unfortunately, no. Can I do it myself?
You would have to buy equipment but you shouldn't have to do it yourself. It's a very important measurement especially with an odor complaint and venting that has changed. A combustion analysis should have been done also.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You would have to buy equipment but you shouldn't have to do it yourself. It's a very important measurement especially with an odor complaint and venting that has changed. A combustion analysis should have been done also.
But who should do it? The boiler technician or the chimney people?

·
Administrator
39,648 Posts
May have a delayed ignition. Or a draft problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
But who should do it? The boiler technician or the chimney people?
The boiler tech does it. It should be done every year. The combustion chamber should be opened up and all the passages brushed and cleaned out. Nozzle changed, new filter and full combustion analysis done with a printout including efficiency that goes to you. This should take them several hours. If your tech comes in for 30-40 minutes and calls it done, they aren't doing it right. I grew up with oil the yearly maintenance is important.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts