DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So to make a long story short, I did a poor job of aligning where my concrete piers to support my deck stairs were placed. The stringers are fairly long, covering around 12' of horizontal distance. I dug and poured four total piers, but as you can see in the pictures, there do not align nicely to support a beam under the stairs. The lower pair are not too bad with alignment, so I can most likely make those work with a single beam. The upper pair is much worse, as you can see.

Is there any way to make this setup work, without having to dig out these piers, and do a repour with a better alignment? Unfortunately, the piers don't line up directly under the stringers either, so I can't just easily run a post straight up to at least directly support a single stringer above the pier.

Any suggestions you all have would be hugely appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Set a 6x6 post on each footer with a 2x10 across. Bevel the top of the 2x to match the slope.

View attachment 659617
I hate to ask a dumb question, but what is the difference in using the 2x10 versus running a 6x6 across like my original plan? Due to the offset won't the 2x10 or 6x6 going across need to have a different bevel angle where it connects with the stringers?

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
Cut 2x4 to match the stringers and put one inside every stringer and bury the piers. If you have room do 2x6 instead of 2x4s
You can notch the 2x6 for the stair cuts.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Other than the fact you didn’t mention a 6x6 …
The strength of the support comes from the vertical dimension. So a 6x6 isnt much better than a 2x6 or 4x6. I would do a minimum 2x8, and even though it doesnt meet code, i would probably use a 4x4 for the post and bolt the 2x to the side with 5/8” hex bolts.

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
And if you still need more add another 2x12 full width to the sides.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Other than the fact you didn’t mention a 6x6 …
The strength of the support comes from the vertical dimension. So a 6x6 isnt much better than a 2x6 or 4x6. I would do a minimum 2x8, and even though it doesnt meet code, i would probably use a 4x4 for the post and bolt the 2x to the side with 5/8” hex bolts.
I apologize, you're absolutely right, I forgot to mention my original plan was to has a 6x6 running horizontally between the two 6x6 posts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cut 2x4 to match the stringers and put one inside every stringer and bury the piers. If you have room do 2x6 instead of 2x4s
You can notch the 2x6 for the stair cuts.
Hi there Neal,

I have having trouble visualizing what you are talking about for a solution and to "bury to piers". Are you talking about using pieces of 2x6 inside of the stringers to pad out enough material, then have the 6x6 posts connected to the padded stringers with some sort of structural fastener?

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
Hi there Neal,

I have having trouble visualizing what you are talking about for a solution and to "bury to piers". Are you talking about using pieces of 2x6 inside of the stringers to pad out enough material, then have the 6x6 posts connected to the padded stringers with some sort of structural fastener?
No, I am saying if we never put piers in, you don't need them.
The bottom of the strings are sitting on a pad. If that pad does not have a footing at frost depth, it can move a little up and down and never be noticed, unless you have foolishly attached them to piers at frost depth. Then something as to bend, break or something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I am saying if we never put piers in, you don't need them.
The bottom of the strings are sitting on a pad. If that pad does not have a footing at frost depth, it can move a little up and down and never be noticed, unless you have foolishly attached them to piers at frost depth. Then something as to bend, break or something.
I see, lol my mistake. The pad the stairs land on is 6' x 4.5', about 6" thick and sitting on compacted gravel. I am in Maine so there are frost concerns, but I can't imagine it will move much. As for the piers, my understanding was that there needed to be post support at a minimum every 6 feet of horizontal distance on stair stringers.

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
I see, lol my mistake. The pad the stairs land on is 6' x 4.5', about 6" thick and sitting on compacted gravel. I am in Maine so there are frost concerns, but I can't imagine it will move much. As for the piers, my understanding was that there needed to be post support at a minimum every 6 feet of horizontal distance on stair stringers.
Is that code there or just roomer?

·
retired framer
51,233 Posts
I can't speak to if it is code, but that is what is recommended in the DCA 6 - Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide.
Call the city and ask. They are the only source that count.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Also I forgot to ask, what is going to be the best tool to use to cut a different angle of bevel in each spot? A hand planer held at the necessary angle somehow?
A circular saw (or table saw) with the blade leaned over to the correct angle. Just bevel the full length of the top surface.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts