DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Odd central AC issue...

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  just_dave 
#1 ·
I have central air conditioning. It was feeling a little warm in the house so I went and looked at the thermostat and it is reading nearly 10° warmer than it is set and says that the system is on. I went to a vent and while it is cool to the touch, there is no air blowing from it. I looked outside and the external AC unit is running. Went to the basement and the unit is on...opened it and the blower is blowing.

The only thing that has changed since yesterday is that we signed up for gas service with a new company and our old company disconnected us early and we won't have gas for a week (don't get me started on this one). I don't THINK that the gas being off could cause this, but I'm not sure. The AC was working perfectly up until yesterday. Now it looks like all the pieces are working...but there's no air moving in the house.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks a ton yuri. I shut the system off a while ago when I realized it wasn't moving air. Just went down in the basement and the coils are in a metal box that sits atop the furnace. There seems to be no way into that box without a lot of dismantling. There does seem to be a fair amount of water dripping from it.

So assuming I wait another couple hours and give the coils time to thaw...and that is what turns out to be the issue...what next?

#4 ·
Have you replaced the filter lately?

It takes hours for an if you turn on the furnace for about 5 mins this will help thaw it out faster if it is frozen. Typically if the coil is frozen you will have an iced up condenser as well. (Suction line to the condenser/compressor, Look in the condenser under the fan)

#6 ·
Just went outside and there's a fair amount of ice on the condenser.

We have four big dogs and run the higher end Filtrete filters. I change them every 30-45 days...and when I change them they really need it. Change them more often? Better brand to use?

#7 ·
And the filter?

There are basically two reasons for ice

Lack of air flow..Dirty filter, dirty coil ect.
Low on charge..Low on freon

OR

A combination of both

And the air filter is ?

#9 ·
Maybe not every two weeks but check it every 30 days.

Did you turn on the furnace to thaw the coil?

If so replace the filter and turn the a/c back on to see if it improved the air flow. Keep an eye on the condenser for ice again. If it ice up again then you will need to call a pro to have the coil inside inspected for being plugged and check charge.

Unless you feel you can open the coil and check. If it is plugged and you try to clean it keep in mind that the coil fins will bend easy and if you bend enough of them you might end you having to replace the coil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.