DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three fluorescent fixtures in my garage, each containing two tubes. I have purchased occupancy sensors at Home Depot for the garage, but they always fail. An electrician told me yesterday that I probably need a commercial grade 15 amp sensor, and he told me to check out Leviton's web site. I did so, but they have so many models, I don't know what is the right one. I'm looking for a 180 degree wall-mounted sensor/switch that can handle the load described above and cover about 500 square feet. Any Leviton model numbers would be appreciated.

Also, I have a regular ceiling light in the pantry controlled by an occupancy switch. However, when I replaced the bulb with a CFL, it would not shut off, but would continuously flicker. The electrician also said Leviton makes sensors designed for CFLs, but he didn't give me a model number. Again, any recommendations appreciated. This is a small room with a double bulb ceiling light, so I imagine a residential grade sensor is sufficient.

Thanks for any advice! :thumbsup:

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
You need a sensor that requires a neutral wire connection to operate properly. Leviton, P&S, and others make models that have that configuration.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
KBsparky is correct you need a motion sensor or occupancy sensor that do need netrual conductor to function properly with flourscent load due the ballast they play tricks on them.

I know one maybe two may work with two wire set up but I never go that route and normally I used Wattstopper they are pretty good with me.

Just make sure you get one with netural and there are few verison you can get them.

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Leviton unit you are looking for is a ODS10-IDW. The cheaper resi grade sensors don't work on any flourescent load that isn't a rapid start magnetic ballast(old technology).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts