DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a building in NYC that was built in the late 60s and I wanted to mount my 42" plasma. I drilled a few test holes after I used a stud finder and discovered the walls were about 2.5" thick. The drill bit went right through, I now have a peep hole to my bedroom. The other hole went in 1.25" and stopped. The dust looks like drywall/clay dust. The walls seem thick though, I can't hear people talking in the other room.

Any ideas what kind of walls I'm dealing with?
Should I abandon all hope of mounting my TV or anything for that matter? I was hoping to mount some shelves also.

·
Registered
37,440 Posts
Sounds like you have drywall attached to strapping that's attached to brick walls.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
probably have stud walls with the studs turned sideways. 1/2" gwb, 1-1/2" stud, 1/2" gwb, gives you a 2-1/2" wall. It's pretty common in city settings to use this type of non-load bearing wall as city real estate is big $$$....so wasting it with dead wall space is a waste...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1/2" gwb, 1 1/2" stud, 1/2" gwb, makes sense but I didn't know that was possible. So, would it be safe to mount a 95lb. TV on?

Thanks for the tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts