DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has and one here used any kind of anti seize on galvanized nut and bolts on an outdoor project like kids swing sets or decking ? Recently took down an old swing set and all the hardware was an pretty bad shape I had to cut some with a recip saw . When I put it back together I would like to coat the bolts with something so I wont have this problem again any suggestion ?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Antiseez and related products are mainly for differing metals installations, such as stainless bolts in aluminum, to prevent gauling. Not sure it would help in the situation you describe. But can't hurt to try it.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Antiseez and related products are mainly for differing metals installations, such as stainless bolts in aluminum, to prevent gauling. Not sure it would help in the situation you describe. But can't hurt to try it.
Agreed. :thumbsup:

There is a big difference between a bolt, washer and nut cheap Chinese galvanized and sold through a box store and one sold through a fastener place. The fastener store may have a third world galvanized also but it will have gone through some degree of quality control. It is less likely to break when you tighten it.

Buy your fasteners at a fastener store or at least a real hardware store. If it is equipment for your kids to play on? Do you really want to cut corners to save $2.17 on fasteners? Of course not.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Use stainless steel hardware.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
Just curious sdsester, I reviewed several articles on threading technique, and none of them suggested that casting of threads was commonly used on nuts and bolts. Mostly casting seemed to be reserved for plastic bottles and certain other special applications. Additionally, none of the articles suggested that there was any intrinsic quality issue with casting, simply that it was applicable only to specific material types.

So how would the OPS, or anyone else for that matter, be able to tell if a specific bolt or nut had cast threads? And if it did, are you suggesting that cast bolt threads are inherently lower quality than die cut or milled threads?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Your choice use it if you want to ever take it apart in the future, The silver color stuff is used around the world on big machinery all the time.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
Unless you can afford stainless steel, use the neverseez. It will work on similar, dis-similar, cut threads, rolled threads.......... won't matter.

I can't imagine how poor the tensile strength and shock resistance would be for a cast fastener. Threads on common bolts and screws are either cut or rolled. Rolled being somewhat stronger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts