DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! We bought our house 6 years ago and haven't done much with the fireplace yet...I've attached a photo. Beware - it's ugly. The hearth is about 4" tall and made of different brick than is on the face. Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome and appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,231 Posts
Hi Mrs Frosty and welcome to the forum.

Questions, gas or wood?
Have you used it and does it work, especially if wood?
Do you just want it to look good or do you want to heat the house?

Bud

·
retired painter
10,022 Posts
I think the white brick versus the stained oak is what hurts it the most. I'm not crazy about painting oak but that would be one option, another would be to paint the brick a different color. I assume with the right prep you could set tile over the brick. Those would be the cheapest fixes ..... or you could tear it out and start over with something completely different.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,001 Posts
I would strip to he paint and install tile.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Hi all! We bought our house 6 years ago and haven't done much with the fireplace yet...I've attached a photo. Beware - it's ugly. The hearth is about 4" tall and made of different brick than is on the face. Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome and appreciated!
You haven't said what you don't like about it. I don't think it's ugly. There's a lot of contrast, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really like the height of the hearth. It's hard to tell from the picture but the surround and the mantel are different colors. You're right about the contrast. The brick is flush with the wall and just to the right of the fireplace is our front door so I'm not sure we could build it out. I'm lost when it comes to changing it.

·
retired painter
10,022 Posts
How far from the fireplace is the door? On the same wall or at the corner of the next wall? A pic from farther back showing the door also could be helpful.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
I don't really like the height of the hearth. It's hard to tell from the picture but the surround and the mantel are different colors. You're right about the contrast. The brick is flush with the wall and just to the right of the fireplace is our front door so I'm not sure we could build it out. I'm lost when it comes to changing it.
The colors give it a boxed in look. It actually looks smaller because of the use of light and dark.

I actually don't use Pinterest, but am coming to see it as a good source of ideas. Here are some fireplaces with the same color paint causing an elongated/heightened effect.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/122300946103066957/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts