DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
My church is about 4000 square feet, roughly 10 windows...I have an RTU(pic attached) that supplies the offices and the alter. And another unit (pic attached) towards the back for the restrooms and last 3 rows inside the church. There are no vents in the middle which is where the main crowd seat. I'm trying to figure out if there is too much load or just not enough vents. We can't get lower then 78°F while the offices are nice and comfortable. Let me know if u guys need more details, I did my best trying to break it down.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the RTU is suspect then? There are no pics I see.
Has the unit been checked for proper operation?
Roughneck,
Honestly yes...the return is in one of the smaller offices. It seems like it was blocked off at first until someone realized it and cut off the sheetrock. In my opinion the duckwork could be the problem

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Start with the unit and work back to the building. Need to make sure the unit is operating 100% before rushing to other conclusions. Clean filters, clean coils and tight belts. Make sure the blower wheel isn't packed with dirt.

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
I assume this is a newer development or has always been this way? How many people do you get in there for any significant time?

Cheers!
From the description. Sounds like it was always a problem. Or ever since a renovation was done.

Reactions: mozart6099

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Guesstimating 400 people max, you'd need 10- 20 tons just for the people alone.(depending on the type of sermon, which dictates the amount of activity) It's hard to see the one m/n but it looks like they have 20 tons. With no one in there, the temp should pull down. (Again guesstimating heat losses from square footage of a building I know nothing about, in some unknown location.)

It does sound like a possible ductwork / unit issue

Cheers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guesstimating 400 people max, you'd need 10- 20 tons just for the people alone.(depending on the type of sermon, which dictates the amount of activity) It's hard to see the one m/n but it looks like they have 20 tons. With no one in there, the temp should pull down. (Again guesstimating heat losses from square footage of a building I know nothing about, in some unknown location.)

It does sound like a possible ductwork / unit issue

Cheers!
About 400 people...there is also a supply in that room about 2 feet away. I just closed it to see if that would help.

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
About 400 people...there is also a supply in that room about 2 feet away. I just closed it to see if that would help.
400 people sitting in church/sanctuary, is a 15 ton cooling load. That doesn't include any heat gain through the walls, windows, or lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.