DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be building my house in Maine, a 24x28 cape. I was just wondering about a couple things. One; whats the best to heat a house, Oil or wood/electric. Two; would it cost to much to run electric baseboard heat during the day and to run a wood or a pellet stove at night, then to run just oil all day. Thank you for your time. If you need any more info, just ask.

·
Administrator
40,845 Posts
The answer depends on your electric rate, and your cost for oil. It varies by the area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With your cheap electric rate, its cheaper then oil.
Thats what i was thinking, but ive read else where that it can be rather costly. but that was if it ran all day and that was your primary heat source. But i also plan on insulating the wall rather well too. that that will help.

·
Administrator
40,845 Posts
Yes it will.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Oil is around 3.29 and elec is $0.060278 kWh. If this helps.
Double check that rate... make sure that you're including both the generation and transmission rates.

Just to get a reasonable estimate you might want to take a few months worth of bills, subtract any truly fixed costs (ones that are fees which are identical month to month w/o use) then divide the number of kW's used that month by the previous result.

6c/kW seems astoundingly low... though I know that some locations, particular where there are a lot of hydro plants or transmission lines will get lower costs then others...

I was at 23c/kW in my last town and now in the new town (with a local PoCo) it's at about 17c/kW and I was happy to have it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Service Charge:
$7.08

kWh Charges:

​On-Peak
$ 0.094838/kWh
​Shoulder
$ 0.081540/kWh
​OffPeak
$ 0.039318/kWh

Not a huge difference. Off from my power company website. Cmpco.com if u wanna check for yourself and see if I'm getting the right rate.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
BASIC RATE PER MONTH
$8.53* for the first 100 kWh or less
$0.060278* per kWh for all kWh in excess of above

*Includes transmission charges in accordance with Subsection 44.1 of the Terms & Conditions and includes conservation assessment charges in accordance with Subsection 49.1 of the Terms & Conditions.

http://www.cmpco.com/MediaLibrary/3/6/Content%20Management/Suppliers%20And%20Partners/PDFs%20and%20Doc/a.pdf

I would say that you are pretty cheap. I would still have some form of back up heat & generator incorporated into the build.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Good deal... I just checked mine, I was mistaken before--I'm $0.139/kW--about double yours I suppose.

Anyway, one big advantage to a fuel source like propane or oil is that you can keep the heat on with minimal electric requirement and no outside supply functioning.

My oil-fired boiler uses only about 300W when running, so I can have hot water and heat while using a relatively small generator (I have a 3000W that I use to keep the heat, a couple of lights and the fridge running).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say that you are pretty cheap. I would still have some form of back up heat & generator incorporated into the build.
Yes I was planing on having a wood stove either way. And have a generator backup. Just not to sure about the primary heat source yet. Just looking for some alternatives to oil where it's so high, same as propane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts