DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a 40+ year old house near Houston. Some of the windows are about 6 years old, and some are probably original. What I'm trying to figure out is what is "acceptable" heat loss/gain, as I am trying to decide whether shell out a bunch of cash to replace the windows.

For instance, if the outside air temp is 30 degrees, and the inside temp is 70 degrees what temp should I see on the inside of a well made energy efficient window. Conversely, if the outside air temp is 95, with direct sun, and the inside temp is 72, what temp should I see inside.

I'm measuring the temp using a B&D Infrared Thermometer.

·
Banned
30,023 Posts
Copied and pasted from my buddy Oberon:

Some real numbers:
When it is 0°F outside and 70°F inside and you have very little wind, the interior surface temperature of a single pane of glass is going to be right about 16°F; which is definitely going to contribute to those convection currents.

Add the second lite, be it storm or dual pane and you increase the interior glass surface temperature to 44°F. That is a very significant improvement. And once again, that is not simulation, it is real measurement data.

Add the LowE coating in a dual pane and the temperature of the glass surface increases to the mid 50’s F (53°F – 57°F) depending on the coating and the glass surface that has the coating.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
What did you get?

Weren't you looking at Oknas before?

Did you go with triple pane?
they are called CLIMATE GUARD. but, you know, that some factory somewhere, makes a window, then puts who knows how many different names on it.
they are sliders, and while they are ok, i wish i would have gone casements, oh-well. they are a decent quality and are working well for me. they don't leak at all.

i was looking for what you guys recommended. not to be found, by me anyway.

no. they are a basic dual with low-e. nothing fancy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.