DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Found this in the basement window frame of my 10 year old house. The window is above ground. An indentation from one of the horseshoe-shaped shims is visible as an indentation on the wood under the corner of the window.

Is this normal for its age, is the window damaged, was it improperly installed, or something else?

Can I do anything to curb it?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,129 Posts
Can I find the issue without pulling the entire window out? What should I look for?

Have a helper with a garden hose, LIGHTLY put water around the outside of the house, near the window, or set up a sprinkler to spray LIGHTLY around the area.

Be inside looking for where the water is coming from.

This might need to remove the inside trim to see better.

Sometimes just removing the trim, you see DAYLIGHT coming in around the window.

That would be a leak.

And sometimes it's the roof, and running down the inside of the wall, to appear under a window.

GOOD LUCK.

ED

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
To close of picture on outside to see what it is like. Does not look like it was ever sealed or finished on the inside. Just folding house wrap in on the opening is not practiced by a lot of guys anymore. Suggest spray water on outside to see if water comes in somewhere, start low work up .

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
Problem one is the siding was not cut back to accommodate the brick mold. The windows need to be set back in the opening at least an inch if not more. Then j channel applied around the brick mold then the siding reinstalled to fit. This was not the way to install windows. I am surprised that is all the water intrusion you had.

Problem two is there is no flashing over the top of the window to prevent vertical water from infiltrating.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Most builders don't install windows or doors correctly,
and I can see that yours has been done wrong.
Housewrap should never be pulled into the rough openings like that.
Anytime I see housewrap folded into a rough opening like that, I know
it was done by ignoramus hacks who don't bother to read instructions.
You will never be able to keep water out unless it's done right from the get-go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At 10 years old, is the builders Warranty still in effect?
Unfortunately not. It's just over the ten year mark.

I tried to get a blown seal fixed in another window; the builder pointed the finger at the window manufacturer/installer, which pointed the finger at another window manufacturer/installer, which went back and forth over and over again. It was complete bullshit.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,129 Posts
Unfortunately not. It's just over the ten year mark.

I tried to get a blown seal fixed in another window; the builder pointed the finger at the window manufacturer/installer, which pointed the finger at another window manufacturer/installer, which went back and forth over and over again. It was complete bullshit.
I fear this is going to get costly.

Too bad about the builder being a " Dump and run" type.

ED

·
Registered
186 Posts
My brother had a similar issue where his community identified problems across all the homes built by the same builder and under pressure the builder stepped up and fixed all the homes which was just after the warranty expired. It must have been a fortune to fix.

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
I don 't look at as a "warranty" item. IT was sloppy building. They should be held liable for fixing it.

·
Naildriver
16,933 Posts
Neal, look at the pictures in post #7. The siding was never cut back to accept the full window to it's normal depth. It should never be protruding like that. Pictures of further back and at an angle may prove beneficial.

Reactions: de-nagorg
1 - 20 of 24 Posts