DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for your help. Here is my situation. I live in Houston, TX, very hot and humid climate. My roof is approximately 8 yrs old, so I am not ready to replace it, however I do need to add additional blown in insulation in the attic and increase the ventilation. I have no facia area around the perimiter of my house (one story 3,200 sq. ft. ranch style), thus no place for soffit venting. Additionally, the roof has a ridge vent but the vent was never cut through the roof? The only "active" ventilation currently is two dormer/gable type vents located at opposite ends approximately at the midpoint of the attic. I have read about the Edge product but this would appear to be a very expensive solution. Because of where I live, ice daming is not a concern. The question is what is the most cost effective way to increase the vetilation and to make sure that the balance of the airflow (high and low on the roof) is good? One contractor I spoke with suggested putting 16 airhawks in, 8 at a higher level and 8 at a lower level on the roof line. Is this the best way to go or are there better alternatives?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
hi and welcome to the forum!
if it were me, i'd install solar powered fans at each end, one in, one out. as the sun gets hotter, they run faster.....
for free.....

DM

·
old timer
104 Posts
Cut the ridge for the existing ridge vent.

Install a "smartvent" or "fascia vent" type product at the eave.

The cost should be comparable to installing the static vents and will make for a better job. Being in a hot location, leave the gable vents open for added ventilation.
http://roofingcontractorreview.com/Roof-and-Attic-Ventilation.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts