DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house was built sometime around 1920. I have a basement so i can see most of the plumbing lines. I have 1 outside faucet. I've followed that to a spot that has a 90 degree angle with two shut offs. But, when i turn either one of them, it seems to do the same thing, which is turning off the water to everywhere. I can't seem to find a way to turn off just the outside faucet. Is it possible that the home doesn't have a shut off for the outside faucet? If that is the case, is disconnecting the hose outside enough to prevent the pipe from freezing? It is an older looking faucet outside, not a newer frost free type. This is my first winter in this home. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Trace the water line for the outside faucet. The main will angle similar to the faucet line.

It may be in a bathroom or kitchen cabinet or possibly the garage too.

·
Registered
37,378 Posts
It's far more common to not see a shut then to see one.
It a good idea to add one under the house so if you need to work on it as you found out you do not have to shut the whole house down.
Is it going to freeze? Depends on where you live.
A really good idea would be to change it to one like this.
http://www.homesmsprealestateblog.com/images/2008/07/13/sillcock1_2.jpg

This style shut off the water under the house not outside, still would have to remove the hose when it gets cold or it's going to freeze.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
A lot of old places did not have a shut off for the hose bib---the old places were such heat loosers that the pipe stayed warm enough that they never froze---

Just add that to your list of things that need attention----do not insulate in that area until you change the hose bib to a frost free valve---and a shut off.

The poor insulation around the pipe is what keeps it from freezing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts