DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
More than likely they control part of the wall receptacles. Plug in a lamp into the receptacles and try the switch. Make sure the lamp is on by plugging it into a receptacle in another room first. Usually only half of the receptacle is switched while the other half is hot (on) all the time.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
I've tried all outlet in each room and flipped the switches nothing... Help
Receptacles can be split. Did you check both the top and bottom of all receptacles in the room?
Do you have another switch that turns on lights in the room? Does the bedroom have a ceiling light and/or a ceiling fan?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... All 4 bedrooms have no lights or ceiling fans just lights switch. I have taken a lamp( on) and tried all outlets top and bottom. Am I'm missing a step?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
one possibility would be that the switched outlet was replaced and they didn't hook the new one up correctly so its on all the time. if they didn't break the tab on the side of the outlet it would be hot all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Renting, just moved in 4 weeks ago (older home)... There are no blank plates on the ceiling. If they switched out the outlet out is that something easy to fix.( breaking tab on side of outlet)?

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Renting, just moved in 4 weeks ago (older home)... There are no blank plates on the ceiling. If they switched out the outlet out is that something easy to fix.( breaking tab on side of outlet)?
You need to talk to your landlord. You cannot work on the electrical system in the house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts