DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lowes delivered my new range today and I picked up the range cord and the 3-prong 50A outlet that was suggested by electricians here.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_423851-43469-2204_0__?productId=4064012

Unfortunately, there are no wiring instructions with it. The reviewers on the product say the instructions are really awesome and simple but clearly I'm out of luck.

The wiring I'm seeing online looks like this :

Can I assume that's standard and wire it similarly? Thank you. There's no way I'm hauling my pregnant butt to Lowes for the third time today.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Are you sure that electric is here recommended you getting a 3 wire cord and receptacle instead of four wire? I'm sure the range also requires 120 V power for the controls. The code no longer allows the neutral and ground to share the same conductor. This set up that you pictured has no ground connection, only to power feeds and to the neutral!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've installed a lot of ranges and I've never seen one with a different power feed for the controls. Maybe that's seen in more expensive ranges than I've been able to afford but this one has a single range cord going to either a 3-prong or 4-prong wire, I installed the 3-prong cord per instructions.

Existing branch-circuits are allowed to continue per code. I'm not rewiring anything, I had 3 wires poking out from underneath the cabinet, now those wires are encased in a surface-mounted outlet.

I've attached a picture of both sets of instructions included with the 3-prong outlet and with the range :

Is this wrong? I followed instructions given here by electricians and in the booklets provided. I'd like to know before I kill someone.

ETA : I did make supper on it last night and lived to tell the tale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts