DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm a relatively new homeowner and need some help.

Here's a pic of the front of the house, where the vinyl siding meets -whatever it is- at the bottom.

Well, we had a BRUTAL winter and this obviously needs to be fixed. It looks to me like chicken wire covered in mortar??

Ignore the crack in the concrete. That's easy enough to fix.

To be clear about one thing, I'm very handy and can do just about any repair myself. This, however, is new ground to me.

Help?

·
JOATMON
15,208 Posts
That is called Stucco. Non structural.

It appears water got behind it, froze and broke out the layer. Best I can tell from that pic, it is just a skim coat of stucco just for looks.

You can buy it at HD in ready mixed buckets. If you are that worried about it, break off all the loose bits....clean it up and skim on some more. Let it dry...then paint. Chances are you will need to wait a few months.

As and FYI....the 'new method' for stucco is to use colored stucco for what is called the color coat vs painting it. While the paint 'might' keep water out, it also keeps it in. Hence, any water that works down the vapor barrier of your siding ends up going under the stucco.

Cold weather is one of the reasons stucco is not as popular up north.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is called Stucco. Non structural.

It appears water got behind it, froze and broke out the layer. Best I can tell from that pic, it is just a skim coat of stucco just for looks.

You can buy it at HD in ready mixed buckets. If you are that worried about it, break off all the loose bits....clean it up and skim on some more. Let it dry...then paint. Chances are you will need to wait a few months.

As and FYI....the 'new method' for stucco is to use colored stucco for what is called the color coat vs painting it. While the paint 'might' keep water out, it also keeps it in. Hence, any water that works down the vapor barrier of your siding ends up going under the stucco.

Cold weather is one of the reasons stucco is not as popular up north.
Thanks for the reply! I'm relieved to know that this isn't something major. After reading this, and some thought, I'd like to just tear it all off and drylok the cinder block foundation behind it.

Is that even an option?

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Yes... it is an option.... if appearance is not a consideration and if the stucco does not extend beyoud your stemwall.

Seems 6 of one and 1/2 dozen to me.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
I suspect water by capillary action has gotten behind the stucco. There needs to be a drip edge behind the bottom siding run extending down some and with a short dog leg kicked out about a quarter inch at the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts