DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all:
I live in the Fredericksburg, VA area (1 hr. south of DC). I bought my house a year ago so I'm still getting familiar with the quirks.

I have an apartment upstairs which has 2- 4' water heaters: one to the kitchen and one to the bathroom/sink. Recently when the temps dropped down to the teens, there was no water out of the hot water tap. And, yes, there was cold water. Then, when the temps warmed up a bit, the hot water returned the next day.

Does this sound like frozen pipe? Could I avoid future probelms by having the tenant allow the water to drip?

As usual, thank you in advance.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Sure sounds like a frozen pipe---

You better find the pipe and insulate it--or move it---or heat it---

dribbling water might keep it from freezing up---but don't count on that working---pipes burst when frozen--so insuring that it can't happen is the best bet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I live in that city an hour south of you and I can only remember two previous cold snaps when we got into single digits. 1983 and 2003, I think. You probably know you can install pipe heat cable:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
mike is right..find the cause and prevent it from doing so again....or one day it going to freeze and bust....not a pretty picture if no one is home to shut off water....ben sr

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fredericksburg, VA area
Heat Cable? No. I've never heard of that. Yes, the temps are lower than I ever remember! 6 degrees 2 days ago. The plumber I use is very busy but I will discuss with him.

One more question..are the water pipes usually in the floor of the upstairs or the crawl space in the attic?

As usual, thanking all of you in advance.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Leave cabinet doors open at sinks located on outside walls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts