DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new home and am replacing a lot of the electrical outlets for cosmetic reasons. I have one outlet that my tester says has no ground. I hooked up the bare ground wire correctly. Can I purchase a 2 prong outlet and just use that instead, or is there any easy way to figure out what is wrong.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
What do you mean by hooked up the bare ground wire correctly? Pigtailed from the outlet and connected to a common ground running through the box or did you just attach it to the box. If the box is not grounded the outlet will not be either.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
What do you mean by hooked up the bare ground wire correctly? Pigtailed from the outlet and connected to a common ground running through the box or did you just attach it to the box. If the box is not grounded the outlet will not be either.
He might not live in conduit Chicago.
OP, is this wired using cable (romex)? If so, how many grounds wire are in the box that gives you a bad reading?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He might not live in conduit Chicago.
OP, is this wired using cable (romex)? If so, how many grounds wire are in the box that gives you a bad reading?
There is romex coming in with three wires: 1 black, 1 white, and 1 bare. I hooked up the black to the copper screw on the receptacle, white to the silver, and bare to the green. The tester shows an open ground. I have also checked nearby outlets and they appear to be wired correctly as well.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Ordinarily I would expect to see a pigtail from that green ground screw wire nutted to two bare or green ground wires in the box if the outlet is mid circuit somewhere or to just one if it is the terminal outlet in the series. Outlets do not pass the ground connection as they do the positive and negative ones.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
There is romex coming in with three wires: 1 black, 1 white, and 1 bare. I hooked up the black to the copper screw on the receptacle, white to the silver, and bare to the green. The tester shows an open ground. I have also checked nearby outlets and they appear to be wired correctly as well.
The connections are correct. It means that the other end of the ground wire isn't really connected to ground back at the panel. This is probably just how it was wired, with whomever having ran a 14/2 w/g from one receptacle or light to the receptacle you're changing. If the house is older, the entire circuit probably isn't grounded, and there's nothing to do about it other than replacing the whole circuit back to the panel making sure everything on the circuit is grounded.

I think I said that right??

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Thought all the same but he says he is getting a no or faulty ground indicator on only the one outlet if I read the message correctly.

OP? What kind of tester are your using for the outlets? Is it the outlet on the very end of the circuit (shouldn't matter I know).

My thought was it was only old knob and tube, two wire or something, passing through an updated circuit breaker service panel. But I was baffled that his tester was showing a working ground on all other outlets on the circuit. I guess I want to learn something here too. I never claimed to be an electrician. I have paid them handsomely, put some of their kids through school, to explain the obvious to me at times though.

You are on guys.

Of course I forget the obvious at times. Think the $1/retail outlet could be faulty itself?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course I forget the obvious at times. Think the $1/retail outlet could be faulty itself?
It was showing no ground with the old outlet also. I am using one of those cheap plugin testers with three lights on it. All other outlets show a good ground. I think it is the last outlet because there is only one thing of romex coming in to the outlet box.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
It was showing no ground with the old outlet also. I am using one of those cheap plugin testers with three lights on it. All other outlets show a good ground. I think it is the last outlet because there is only one thing of romex coming in to the outlet box.
So the ground in that cable is disconnected at the other end. Now the harder part: you have to figure out where that other end is. First identify which receptacles are on that circuit. Pull them all out of their boxes and check the ground connections in those boxes. I bet you'll find one where the incoming ground is connected to the receptacle, but the ground in the outgoing romex is not connected to anything. That's your problem.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
So the ground in that cable is disconnected at the other end. Now the harder part: you have to figure out where that other end is. First identify which receptacles are on that circuit. Pull them all out of their boxes and check the ground connections in those boxes. I bet you'll find one where the incoming ground is connected to the receptacle, but the ground in the outgoing romex is not connected to anything. That's your problem.
Agreed, or the ground wire in the cable in question is broken.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
If it only has one romex coming in then yes, it is the last device. Turn the breaker off and identify everything that is on that circuit - lights or receptacles. Then open up each location and make sure the ground wires entering and leaving are wire-nutted or crimped together. The device at each location should have a pigtail connecting it to the ground circuit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts