DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 3 story building and currently there is no cold water in bathroom sink on the 2nd floor. My first concern was frozen pipes as the temperature dropped to 10 degrees. The pipes run along an exterior wall, but are inside the insulation and have additional foam insulation.

I believe the same pipe runs to the bathroom on the 3rd floor, which is working fine. (I can see the joint where the pipe splits, 1 end going to the faucet, the other end going up). The cold water is still working in the shower.

What else could be preventing the water? What can I do to check for problems? (This problem occurred suddenly and all valves remain open.)

·
And Still Learning
114 Posts
Sounds like ice. Are the pipes running in an interior or exterior wall. Is the building heated?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pipes are on an exterior wall, but inside the insulation.

It appears to be the same pipe feeding the bathroom on each floor though. So how would a frozen pipe effect only the middle floor?

Yes the building is heated, it has been at 70 degrees.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,960 Posts
It appears to be the same pipe feeding the bathroom on each floor though. So how would a frozen pipe effect only the middle floor?
Ayuh,... Probably because it's frozen along the lateral run, after the vertical run....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts