DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a home that has a basement. On the side where there is not outside exposure is where they put the half bathroom. The place stinks. It needs a good scrubbing but I think it also needs a ventilation system of some sort. It's tolerable if the bathroom door is left open or cracked but if you close it and go in there later you have to hold your breath!:nuke:

Any thoughts on how to vent a basement bathroom with no outter wall exposure?

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,226 Posts
If your bathroom smells when no one has been using it installing a ventilation fan, while a good idea, would be just masking a symptom not addressing the problem.
You need to figure out where the smell is coming from. The first thing I would do in your shoes is to pour water down every drain and sink in the room. This, by itself, could solve your problem. Sometimes if a shower or tub is not used, the water in the P trap can dry out and let sewer gasses into the room.

If it doesn't then you need to look further into other possibilities such as vent stack issues or hidden mold/moisture issues.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Last month I ran into a stinky basement bath room---Shower drain was done improperly--

Could be a lot of things---you need to do some investigation---an unused bathroom should not have an odor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.