DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of renovating a room in Albany, NY, and have exposed the studs in order to add insulation and re-do the old wiring.

I plan on using NM (Romex) wire, and plan on running the NM down a plumbing chase to the basement, and then run to the electrical panel.

Does the NM have to be in armored cable or conduit in the basement/plumbing chase, or can I staple it to the bottom of the joists in the basement? (I'll be fireblocking the chase as soon as I'm done.)

If I do use Armored Cable or conduit in the basement, what is the correct way to transition from NM?

Note: I didn't want to use armored cable for the room wiring because I wanted to use plastic receptacle boxes.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
not to different except that armored cable requires special clamp connectors going into a receptacle. you may find out that your legacy armored cable does not have a ground wire, in that case you most likely want to piggytail your incoming NM ground around a brace on the receptacle or something like that - i am not sure but would be curious to confirm from a more credible source.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Generally you are required to staple wiring to the SIDE of joists. (at least around here you do.)

As for a hand off between NM and BX (assuming you really meanAC), a metal junction box with BX in one side and NM out the other will work fine. be sure to ground the NM to the box.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You are rewiring a building? Eeesh... Really, get your work checked out.

That said... many boxes come with a screw already in the back of the box to connect the ground to. If there is no hole, then a grounding clip must be used. This is a green clip that connects a ground wire to the box. They are like 15 cents each.

See here:

http://www.itw-fastex.com/catalog/i...no&PHPSESSID=fafe7661aa7e8d5943ce296908e9109e

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.