DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say what a cool site! So here's what I'm working with, I'm remodeling our Living Room and I'm adding an extreme exhaust system (my wife is letting me make a smokers room in our living room it has the ability to be closed off.) So I was thinking of installing two vents in the ceiling feeding down through the wall and into the crawl space and connect to an inline fan, then out of the house. The question, 3 out of the 4 walls are load bearing and the fourth has cold air returns and french doors so not alot of real estate there. How do I run a duct through the top plate and into the ceiling without compromising the structure, I know other trades just cut through the plate and I'm a bit leery. Any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Can you place the vents high on the wall instead of the ceiling? And I do have another thought you may consider. There electronic air cleaners which work very well to eliminate smoke and other odors. They are often used in bars and if sized correctly they do the job quite well. But they generally require an exhaust vent installed on an exterior door. There are some that clean the air and recycle it back into the room but I doubt they are as efficient in cleaning the air as one that would exhaust the air.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What is the purpose of 2 vents: intake and exhaust, as in fresh air is sucked into the room from the crawl space, allowed to mix with room air, then sucked out of room to crawl space?

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Actually I had. For about 10 years, but that was 20 years ago. I"m not about to preach about it to anyone. I just got tired of everything I own smelling like an ashtray. But it would be cheaper.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
hvac....I'll bet you are not surprised that I hear that all the time. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts