DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Power to the ceiling fan. I wired 2 down for the light and 2 down for the fan. Now I'm putting in a timer for the fan. The timer has 4 wires as you know, black white red and ground. Can anyone confirm this wiring, black to black providing it is the line. Can both the white and the red go together with the white(load) heading back to the fan. I'm guessing the white is to operate the internal timer?
Thanks, i don't see much information on this one. I saw one wiring image that describes what i can do, just confirming.

Neil

·
Registered
854 Posts
Most timers would wire as follows:

black from feed to black on timer
white from feed to white on timer and white on your fan (load).
red from timer to black on fan (load)

The switched output is usually the red.

Post the model of your timer for specifics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, instead of having one switch operate both the fan and the light, I ran two lines, one switch turns on th fan the other turns on the light. Since the power is at the fan, i just have two wires(white and black) and the ground coming down to the Fan switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not sure if it requires the Neutral. Assuming it would. the neutral can't go to the same white wire heading to the fan (load). ( The Red is the Load)
Thanks for the note about switch loop.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you've wired it as a switch loop then you do not have a neutral for the timer. The neutral would be the white wire - EXCEPT when it is wired as a switch loop.

I still can't find the instructions for your timer.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
If your timer needs a neutral, you need a 4-wire cable from the fan (where the power is) to the switches. White (neutral for the timer switch) Black (hot to feed both switches) red switch leg back up to fan) and blue (switch leg from timer to fan.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts