DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm installing tile in my tub surround. The walls have Permabase all around, except one which has Durock (leftover from another project a few weeks ago from a friend).

I had to remove a tile today (laid yesterday), and though I was careful, the Durock is quite damaged. I'm not sure how to proceed...any suggestions?

Here are two pictures:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not worry too much. Fill the dings with thinset as you go, that usually fixes that problem.
Thanks very much. I thought that's what I would need to do, but wanted to ask first. I assume I should clean out all the loose debris first, correct?

--Derek

·
6,520 Posts
I think I agree. I'd remove all the loose stuff and blow the dust out and then "spackle" the backerboard smooth with thinset, making a good effort to really work it into the voids. I'd let that dry before applying more thinset to set the tile.

·
6,520 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are you using a notched trowel to apply the thinset when you're tiling? I'm not seeing any evidence of that in the pictures. If not, you should be. If so, my bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity, are you using a notched trowel to apply the thinset when you're tiling? I'm not seeing any evidence of that in the pictures. If not, you should be. If so, my bad.
Absolutely, 1/4". If you look in the bottom corner of the second picture you can see some ridges. I think the reason you can't really notice any evidence of notching is because I cleaned the surface off fairly well as I noticed the damage. What you see at the very bottom is the mesh imprint left by a row of glass tile.

Thanks for the help guys.

--Derek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts