DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

simple question. I'm about to replace a canister flush valve on our toilet.
Is it necessary to replace the bolts holding the tank to the bowl? At the moment there is no leaking...my plan was to re-use the current bolts...is that inadvisable, and do you have to replace them by default every time you remove the tank for any reason?

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,695 Posts
A bolt kit cost less than $5, replace them.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,186 Posts
Yes the bolt kit is cheap.

However, on many canister valves the failure is the gasket which can be changed with out pulling the tank from the bowl. I'm sure you've already done good troubleshooting - but thought I'd mention it, just in case... Is it a Kohler toilet by chance?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the bolt kit is cheap.

However, on many canister valves the failure is the gasket which can be changed with out pulling the tank from the bowl. I'm sure you've already done good troubleshooting - but thought I'd mention it, just in case... Is it a Kohler toilet by chance?
Ya, I'll go grab a bolt kit. Obviously. 8$ here in Home Depot in Ontario.

The toilet is an Uberhaus...you know Rona's terrible brand. It's even a particularly bad Uberhaus which is really saying something. TL-8267, tank is t-8267.
There's no leaking, the problem is that the current system is kind of "stiffened" and you have to push really hard to flush. Then, it closes WAY too early.
I know that the water shouldn't completely drain from the tank, but it gets less than halfway down before the valve closes. irritating...if I pour only a cup of water in the bowl while it's flushing, it's enough to make it flush correctly. the vacuum "whoosh" that is supposed to happen.
I can only get an OEM replacement of the cannister from mecanair.net. if I got that, I could only replace the cannister part that twists/pulls out. But it's around 70$ after delivery and 4-6 weeks. The 3rd party one I'm expecting from amazon tomorrow was only 24.
Covid/lockdowns have damn near killed my business/livelihood and 70$ vs 24 means something now.

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
If I am removing a tank, its probably been 10 or 20 years since the last time the tank has been off, so I replace the tank to bowl gasket and the bolt washers(at least). I think the bolts and washers normally come together, so bolts get replaced by default.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would leave them unless the toilet is ancient and the rubber gaskets are toast. But changing is no biggie, if it seems to give added assurance.

Btw, why are you changing the flush valve? If gasket is leaking, they're easy to replace.

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
If they're more than a year or two old, replace them. If you just replaced them a short while ago as part of another task, I don't see a problem reusing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would leave them unless the toilet is ancient and the rubber gaskets are toast. But changing is no biggie, if it seems to give added assurance.

Btw, why are you changing the flush valve? If gasket is leaking, they're easy to replace.
Thanks....the toilet is actually pretty ancient. The rubber gaskets don't leak right now but I feel like they might not 'settle' if I remove them and then put them back, and might leak.

There is currently no leaking. The valve mechanism (being super cheap plastic and old) is stiff, and the valve closes way too early unless you hold down the flush button.
The valve closes only barely too early. If one additional cup of water is tossed in the bowl during the flush cycle, (like a half drank cup of cold coffee), it flushes properly.
The problem seems to be that in the tank, the tank is literally half full when the valve falls closed. I am hoping that a new cannister will solve the problem. Cheap new cannister, for a cheap old toilet.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,695 Posts
Based on your description, a new toilet is a better option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Based on your description, a new toilet is a better option.
Absolutely no doubt. Even at the best of times, it's a poor flusher. From what I've read, it was a poor flusher when the model was released.
But if I can get it flushing more successfully, for under 30$, it's the kind of financial call I have to make nowadays. :(

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you use any of those sanitizer tablets or blue tablets in the tank,most are high in chlorine, they can eat the bolts completely away over time.Also melt the gasket. I used them until i had to take the tank off and the bolts top was eaten away. Now i just use a little laundry detergent right in the bowl about once a week,nothing in the tank.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Absolutely no doubt. Even at the best of times, it's a poor flusher. From what I've read, it was a poor flusher when the model was released.
But if I can get it flushing more successfully, for under 30$, it's the kind of financial call I have to make nowadays. :(
Poor flusher could be from mineral scale in the siphon jet hole (the smaller one in the bowl). Dump a jug of scale remover in the bowl and let it sit overnight, then dig at it with a wooden dowel (won't scratch the glaze)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So a quick question about the rubber gasket the flush valve came with. see pictured below,

same gasket, both sides. This is meant to go between the flush valve and the tank, unless I'm totally off base.
One side is ribbed, the other is flat. Should the ribbed side go against the tank (facing downwards) or against the flush valve (upwards)?

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
If it's me, I put the ribbed side toward the bottom the tank as it is likely to seal to the unfinished surface better than the flat side will.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it's me, I put the ribbed side toward the bottom the tank as it is likely to seal to the unfinished surface better than the flat side will.
and....That's what I ended up doing.
Nothing is going to turn that toilet into a great flusher, but I replaced the flush valve and problem solved! Flushes just fine now. I'm sure my daughter will still manage to plug it up once a week, but we no longer need to augment the flush with a cup of water, nor do we need to hold down the flush button to complete the flush.
23$ for the flush valve and 8$ for new bolts/washers. Some day...perhaps....a better toilet. Maybe a better house to go along with it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I only buy Niagra Stealth. For $129 you wont find a better unit. .8 gallons per flush and in 10 yrs of use i never had to flush twice. Water is expensive and getting worse. Im sure it paid for itself long ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts