DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Yeah, first thing I was going to say - the panel the OP shows does not have a main breaker, and he needs that. If you get a panel that's a main lug, it doesn't have a main breaker on it and you can't use it for a sub-panel that is remotely located from the panel to which it is connected.

A main lug can be used if you need to ad a sub panel next to your main panel because you are running out of space in the main panel. (as an example) but if you had to shut off the whole panel and you were in the garage, you'd have to go into the house.

That's my understanding of it basicly as a lay person, and I went through this project myself as well so if you want to look through my post history from this past summer you might learn a lot about the project as well.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Yeah, first thing I was going to say - the panel the OP shows does not have a main breaker, and he needs that. If you get a panel that's a main lug, it doesn't have a main breaker on it and you can't use it for a sub-panel that is remotely located from the panel to which it is connected.

A main lug can be used if you need to ad a sub panel next to your main panel because you are running out of space in the main panel. (as an example) but if you had to shut off the whole panel and you were in the garage, you'd have to go into the house.

That's my understanding of it basicly as a lay person, and I went through this project myself as well so if you want to look through my post history from this past summer you might learn a lot about the project as well.
The key for residential garages being served by one electrical system, usually 3 wire single phase 120/240, is whether they are 'attached' or 'detached' to the dwelling with the service equipment. The building or dwelling or structure that contains the 'service equipment' must have a single disconnect whether 6 handle rule or main breaker that removes power from all areas in the building. So if the added panel is in the same structure as the service equipment it is not required to have a main disconnect and an mlo panel is fine. The service equipment is your disconnect in this case.

If the garage is detached and receives its power source from the service equipment in the dwelling and even though turning off the main in the service equipment panel will also kill the power to the detached garage the NEC requires that a disconnect be established for the garage.

4 wire feeders are now required for detached buildings so any 3 wire feeders must be existing.

As I mentioned many jurisdictions do not require a main breaker disconnect or single throw disconnect in a separate enclosure from a panel. They will allow the 6 disconnect rule though IMO they are not applying current code correctly none the less I don't lose any sleep over it but I do prefer a single throw disconnect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
hey guys, just wanted to let you know that everything turned out GREAT!!! I will post pics by tomorrow.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts