DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
801 - 820 of 986 Posts

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
I need to head back to my families house tonight 4 hours away and taking a math test for my class tomorrow. I will be back Sunday still down to discuss what we will be moving forward doing when you have time though back in around 1130-12 tonight 4-5 hours
Any thought of ever putting a roof over this deck?
Good luck with that test.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #805 ·
Any thought of ever putting a roof over this deck?
Good luck with that test.
Thank you sir, I will try my best, school is honestly harder for me to learn. A roof would be really nice. I had thought of an awning or something because it gets sooo much sun. What kind of ideas did you have for that.. Man I got home late last night, I drove 20-30 miles in the wrong direction after getting gas lol

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
Thank you sir, I will try my best, school is honestly harder for me to learn. A roof would be really nice. I had thought of an awning or something because it gets sooo much sun. What kind of ideas did you have for that.. Man I got home late last night, I drove 20-30 miles in the wrong direction after getting gas lol
Not a suggestion.

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
We can talk about that.
If you remove screws in the deck boards around the old posts so you can put a long saw all blade between the deck boards and the joists and cut the posts down a joist level.
Rectangle Orange Yellow Font Material property

Then match the height of the new posts and add 2x6s right down to the concrete.
Rectangle Orange Yellow Font Material property

Then we can add the new posts with 2x4s between them and add pickets.
Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Symmetry

Then put a 2x6 on flat on top.
Product Rectangle Material property Font Parallel

If that works for you we can move on and talk about the stair rail.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #808 ·
We can talk about that.
If you remove screws in the deck boards around the old posts so you can put a long saw all blade between the deck boards and the joists and cut the posts down a joist level.
View attachment 694755

View attachment 694763

View attachment 694764

View attachment 694766

That sounds good to me. will the demo saw do a good enough job or does it need something bigger? Or a hand saw? Also I dont now if I have ever cut a post how do you do it straight through with the weight coming down? Otherwise sounds really good.
Edit: missed the saw all test was decent also. Still not sure how to cut the straight up post with the weight coming down I will watch some videos also

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
That sounds good to me. will the demo saw do a good enough job or does it need something bigger? Or a hand saw? Also I dont now if I have ever cut a post how do you do it straight through with the weight coming down? Otherwise sounds really good.
Edit: missed the saw all test was decent also. Still not sure how to cut the straight up post with the weight coming down I will watch some videos also
If you get the saw blade between the deck boards and the joists to the inside of the post and cut your self out, it will be straight enough and the weight of the post will not be a concern.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #810 ·
If you get the saw blade between the deck boards and the joists to the inside of the post and cut your self out, it will be straight enough and the weight of the post will not be a concern.
Heading back soon
We can talk about that.
View attachment 694755

View attachment 694763

View attachment 694764

View attachment 694766

Heading back today should be back early evening. I was just thinking this morning if it would be worth it to entirely replace the post? I could rent a deck jack or whatever dig out the concrete and either pour concrete or use a premade footer that you bury. Just want your opinion. Honestly not sure how much posts are either especially ones that long. Might need to get my brother to come help me maneuver those if I did that also.

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
Heading back soon

Heading back today should be back early evening. I was just thinking this morning if it would be worth it to entirely replace the post? I could rent a deck jack or whatever dig out the concrete and either pour concrete or use a premade footer that you bury. Just want your opinion. Honestly not sure how much posts are either especially ones that long. Might need to get my brother to come help me maneuver those if I did that also.
No, no need for that.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 ·
No, no need for that.
Ok sounds good just a curiosity. My one concern with the current posts is that the concrete could be bad like the post that was one the stairs. It was loose as soon as i unattached the railings. They seem good but Im guessing it was the same person that poured all of it. I know i would do a much better time with the concrete this time around and with the landing in front.

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
Ok sounds good just a curiosity. My one concern with the current posts is that the concrete could be bad like the post that was one the stairs. It was loose as soon as i unattached the railings. They seem good but Im guessing it was the same person that poured all of it. I know i would do a much better time with the concrete this time around and with the landing in front.
The time to change the post would have been before the deck was fixed.
The way the deck is attached to the posts now It will be tricky at best.
So unless there is a real problem with rot in the post, leave them alone.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #818 ·
We can talk about that.
View attachment 694755

View attachment 694763

View attachment 694764

View attachment 694766

Posts are all cut and off still working between rain.. Neighbors said this weather this time of year is abnormal. Hope to get the wood up in the next lull put eh =/

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
Posts are all cut and off still working between rain.. Neighbors said this weather this time of year is abnormal. Hope to get the wood up in the next lull put eh =/
How tall is the new post above the decking?
From the top of the decking to the concrete on post 1 and 2?
Measure the deck, length and width?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #820 ·
How tall is the new post above the decking?
From the top of the decking to the concrete on post 1 and 2?
Measure the deck, length and width?
The posts are 111 1/2” to the ground 112 1/2” to the ground and the new post from top to deck is 39 5/8”. The length of the deck is 72 1/8th inches and the width is 42 inches from the Wall to the outside of the deck 40 1/2” from deck board to outside piece
Edit: I didn’t include the width of the deckboards when measuring post 1 and 2 so 112 1/2” and 113 1/2”

801 - 820 of 986 Posts