Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 · (Edited)
Yup, that be ugly.
How is it connected to the house in the far corner?
I have a new post in the far corner we put in the current rail is literally shoddy nails straight through the siding I think
Edit: this post only extends to the bottom of the deck and is notched with a carriage bolt through

Attachments

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
I have a new post in the far corner we put in the current rail is literally shoddy nails straight through the siding I think
Edit: this post only extends to the bottom of the deck and is notched with a carriage bolt through
So that is new with the deck? Inside the ledger and inside the rim joist?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 ·
Don't do it we may want to do something at the same time.
Tomorrow, can you check the posts above the deck for plumb and in which direction they lean.
Yes sir, sounds good. I will get that done I was looking at a post level the other day for like 8-10 maybe guessing it is worth it for the long term or maybe worth it to get a better one if I am going to get it? Not 100% sure the cheap level I have is bad at leveling so worth it to get 2 pretty good ones. Learning quick cheap tools are rarely worth it even in the mid term let alone long.

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
Yes sir, sounds good. I will get that done I was looking at a post level the other day for like 8-10 maybe guessing it is worth it for the long term or maybe worth it to get a better one if I am going to get it? Not 100% sure the cheap level I have is bad at leveling so worth it to get 2 pretty good ones. Learning quick cheap tools are rarely worth it even in the mid term let alone long.
When you want to check a level hold it against something not level or plumb and look at it, turn the level end for end, if it reads the same the level is good.
Or hold it level or plumb against a plywood standing up and draw the level line and flip the level to check it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
When you want to check a level hold it against something not level or plumb and look at it, turn the level end for end, if it reads the same the level is good.
Or hold it level or plumb against a plywood standing up and draw the level line and flip the level to check it.
Will levels go out of whack over time or if you drop it or something? ive been pretty careful with these 2 I am going to check my other one tomorrow curious haha. It wasn't reading what My other 2 did I will run this test tomorrow. While I am getting started.

·
retired framer
59,898 Posts
Will levels go out of whack over time or if you drop it or something? ive been pretty careful with these 2 I am going to check my other one tomorrow curious haha. It wasn't reading what My other 2 did I will run this test tomorrow. While I am getting started.
Usually they can take a beating until you bend them or something or driver over them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
back now Ill get those reading. Man lol uber exists out here but couldnt find a driver glad a nice farmer helped me out haha
Im not sure i am getting these right
I think this is what you mean. Man this Friday the 13th bug is getting me today lol

Attachments

781 - 800 of 986 Posts