DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be rebuilding the wooden stairs that lead up to my apartment. I replaced the platform that was far more rotten in the fall. I have never built stairs before but I am not particularly anticipating any problems. My one main concern and question is about to properly attach the long diagonal piece to the wall. Most of the length will be anchored to cinder block. I know i need to be careful drilling cinder block so I am looking for suggestions. The last photo is what the previous owners used to anchor and it doesnt look right to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was mine I'd remove and replace the whole thing.
There should have been a 2 X 12 ledger at the top to attach the stringers to, there should have been three stringers, not just two, also there's no gripable hand railing.
Also many areas call for riser covers.
I'm going to be replacing everything except the platform. the Deck Platform is 3x6 and really is only to get into the apartment. No room to put furniture or anything I am not to concerned about the platform itself. I am replacing bad work that the previous owner left. While I am no expert I am trying to do everything up to local code. I had somebody help me design the platform and fix rot under the door frame in a small area in the fall. I dont remember why I didnt use the larger ledger but I had a reason.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to be replacing everything except the platform. the Deck Platform is 3x6 and really is only to get into the apartment. No room to put furniture or anything I am not to concerned about the platform itself. I am replacing bad work that the previous owner left. While I am no expert I am trying to do everything up to local code. I had somebody help me design the platform and fix rot under the door frame in a small area in the fall. I dont remember why I didnt use the larger ledger but I had a reason.
There should have been a 2 X 12 ledger at the top to attach the stringers to, there should have been three stringers, not just two, also there's no gripable hand railing.
That platform is absolutely solid though. Im pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stringers are the pieces that the steps lay on correct? I also am not sure what riser covers are.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the stringers are the diagonal pieces though that is the main reason im replacing the steps. The piece connected to the cinder block is really getting bad.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If one piece stringer, it doesn't have to be fastened to the wall. Also you can add 2x stiffener to the bottom edge. Maybe it's the photo but the stringer looks like it's longer than necessary? Like it has 11" tread and 5" risers or such? 10 or 11 tread and about 7.5 riser. If a rental, and you're give this job, not necessary to add more cost such as riser facings.
When I replaced the platform I dropped it down about 6 inches I think that might be why the stringer looks Long. I am still learning these terms to be honest with you Im not sure what a stiffener is. The treads are 11" and the risers have up to a 1" variance. between 5 1/2" and 6 1/2". This is turning into a rental though I was not originally planning for it to be. I don't mind some of the extra costs on things if it makes them safer. Ive also been wonder on the best way to attach the stringers to the Platform. I think its a proper ledger with carriage bolts or something and then it appears that different hangers exist to attach the stringers. Last question is really about when drilling into the cinder blocks should i start really small and step up size by size with low pressure to reduce risk of cracking?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don't for see a problem, by your questions, I think you are a bit clueless about stairs.
I am not trying to be mean but if you want to build stairs you have much to learn.
Why is there no flashing on the ledger for the new deck?
I am pretty clueless I just need a general direction I have the flashing for it and siding for the wall I just want to see how the stringers they are called end up sitting the piece sticking up is also blocking the new siding The stringer that is currently attached was apparently placed over the siding. I know what I end up with will not be professional I just want to make sure that it is safe and properly attached to the cinderblock. I have more of an idea then my questions make it seem. One of the problems is not knowing exactly how to ask the questions. Honestly though if I run into issues after I do the demolition I am just going to hire somebody I am on a time crunch.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't for see a problem, by your questions, I think you are a bit clueless about stairs.
I am not trying to be mean but if you want to build stairs you have much to learn.
You actually helped me build my platform in the fall. I Don't know why i didn't just cut the wood or the flashing and put it in. the area gets a lot of sun. and water doesnt seem to well. Not much I can do about the sun hitting it all day. Maybe A coating or something.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you mean the ledger at the top of the stairs it is not a ledger. The stairs that the old owner built had no ledger The piece of wood at the top is a removable piece I believe is how you helped me do it so that I could come back and easily remove the stairs. It was like 6-7 months ago so I dont really expect you to remember haha.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ledger has back flashing and I have the cracks sealed with flashing tape

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On another note I do not think that you sound mean. I know construction always has problems I just dont think it will get to crazy. I come to this forum because the people are genuine and offer honest advice and opinions Typically backed by years and years of knowledge. It is a very friendly and nice community. I know I have tons to learn.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@ LearningTrades

You might re-think what you think you know.

If you want the build and install to be correct,
Listen to what @Nealtw instructs you to do.
I absolutely will and I appreciate all of the advice and opinion I get here. He helped me build my platform last fall actually. I wouldn't be here if I thought I could do it all myself to be honest. Sorry I didn't mean to come off cocky and know I will run into problems as most construction has especially when newer DIYers are involved.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fair enough. if it is there good , I do remember the deck but were you using a different handle then?
I just want you to know that you do not know what you don't know.
Asking the wrong questions can bring the wrong answers
Measure your rise and tread with a square
View attachment 692204
Yeah, I am not sure what happened to my other account I went inactive for like 3-4 months though. I'll go do that now The distances vary though, the work is pretty subpar around this place. I do appreciate everything here though even and especially the "tough love" lol its how things get done.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Measure a few and just give us the average, the slope looks uncomfortably low.
Sorry encountered my elderly neighbors havent seen them in awhile wouldnt want to rush them speaking. The average is about 5 1/2" they are really varied some are just above 6 1/2" and the lowest is just under 5". The tread seems to be the same general length but some are offset with a slight space as in they dont overhang/overlap slightly as in your photo.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We need a total height of the top deck but not from the ground, It needs to be the height down to the landing.
View attachment 692220
Then you want to check if the concrete is level against the house.
And then the distance from the corner of the house to the deck
And the short end of the landing to the deck.
View attachment 692221
I believe the height of the deck to landing is 112 1/2 inches I measured from the deck to the cinder block then the landing to the top of the cinder block and added the heights is that correct? I am attaching a photo of the landing it appears its only sitting on wood. Getting the other 2 measurements now.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The measurement from the deck to the edge of wood the stairs are landed on is 185 inches and the corner of the house is 12 1/2 inches further then that so 197 1/2 inches to the corner.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Close enough for now, need real accuracy when it is time to cut them.
The measurement from the deck to the edge of wood the stairs are landed on is 185 inches and the corner of the house is 12 1/2 inches further then that so 197 1/2 inches to the corner.
These measurements might be off alittle but it should be by much not sure about the deck to the landing I was trying to figure out the best way to do it quickly.

1 - 20 of 724 Posts