DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 512 Posts

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
That platform is absolutely solid though. Im pretty happy with it.
You don't for see a problem, by your questions, I think you are a bit clueless about stairs.
I am not trying to be mean but if you want to build stairs you have much to learn.
Why is there no flashing on the ledger for the new deck?

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
So I didnt wrap it far enough down? I have it going right up to the edge. Dont suppose that I have a whole lot I can do about it now though.
Edit: Wouldnt be hard to take the deck board off I guess.
Fair enough. if it is there good , I do remember the deck but were you using a different handle then?
I just want you to know that you do not know what you don't know.
Asking the wrong questions can bring the wrong answers
Measure your rise and tread with a square
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Brand

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
Yeah, I am not sure what happened to my other account I went inactive for like 3-4 months though. I'll go do that now The distances vary though, the work is pretty subpar around this place. I do appreciate everything here though even and especially the "tough love" lol its how things get done.
Measure a few and just give us the average, the slope looks uncomfortably low.

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
Sorry encountered my elderly neighbors havent seen them in awhile wouldnt want to rush them speaking. The average is about 5 1/2" they are really varied some are just above 6 1/2" and the lowest is just under 5". The tread seems to be the same general length but some are offset with a slight space as in they dont overhang/overlap slightly as in your photo.
All about the same but what is it? Nose doesn't matter just read the square.

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
Sorry thought I put the number 11 1/4"
We need a total height of the top deck but not from the ground, It needs to be the height down to the landing.
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

Then you want to check if the concrete is level against the house.
And then the distance from the corner of the house to the deck
And the short end of the landing to the deck.
Rectangle Slope Plot Line Parallel

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
I believe the height of the deck to landing is 112 1/2 inches I measured from the deck to the cinder block then the landing to the top of the cinder block and added the heights is that correct? I am attaching a photo of the landing it appears its only sitting on wood. Getting the other 2 measurements now.
Close enough for now, need real accuracy when it is time to cut them.

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
Thats how I measured those ones and from the posts they line up well and I can measure the differences. I also just measured from the Landing to the paving stones of the same size underneath the Landing and got right around that same 112 1/2 number. I'm not sure how to get the completely accurate measurements for the cuts. I also believe that I will need a new landing.
I got that, how far is it to the corner of the house from the deck?

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
They are on a piece of wood sitting on the dirt. That is starting to rot out. Sub par work all over this place I want to avoid the same mistakes.
So now it is about educating you on stairs so you can make the decisions on what you want.
When we cut stairs we always cut the stringers with a 10" tread cut you can make the actual treads 11" or 11 1/4" like you have now.
The riser height is what does change, we always want it to be between 6 3/4 and 7 3/4 if we can get it.
If we divide 112.5 by 15 risers we get 7.5" the end of the stringer would land 140" from the deck
If we divide 112 by 16 risers we get 7" the end of the stringer would land at 150" from the deck.
The top of the deck counts as a tread, so there is always one less tread as the rises.
So in this picture you see 3 rises and only 2 treads.
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Diagram

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
First and foremost I appreciate your time again and Your diagrams are always so great.. I've looked at many posts and other threads you have helped people also. For me the slightly shorter 7" 16 risers would be better I'm fairly short so I think that would be good. It is interesting though I never noticed the discomfort walking up the stairs until you mentioned it lol they are weird. I also do like the Slightly Wider steps. as they are now if that is viable. If it really doesn't make a difference though I might just go with what wood looks better at the lumber yard.
Usually we cut them at 10" and do 2 2x6 for the treads when they are wet that is close to 11 1/4 and then when dry a little less with a gap between but really the usable area where you walk is still 10 inches.
It looks like you might be able to make the new concrete landing before you remove the old.
Then we can talk about the landing.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
I also noticed something im semi worried about. I mentioned it really sits in the sun it looks like one of my posts is warped. I was going to replace them also. I thought it might be easier given the situation after or at some point during the new steps. The one that is warped though is the corner of the deck platform. The post is level on 2 sides and honestly seems solid all things considered though. Sorry to distract
Add a 2x6 to the inside nail the top section flush with the edge for the few feet that it is flush.
Then wedge it over with a 2x4 from the house on an angle and as it line up flush add nails until you have it flush top to bottom flush with the post and nailed. Fixed.
Plant Window Wood Building House

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
So 112" is ground level you can do the landing a few ways.
You can just do a pad to land on and plan for a side walk to the corner.
Rectangle Wood Font Logo Chair

But that would leave the bottom of the stringers more likely to be sitting in water.
You could raise it a few inches so the sidewalk would slope down to the corner.
Or you could make the bottom step concrete
Rectangle Parallel Font Diagram Graphics

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
If I go with the concrete option do the strings rest on top or do you actually set them in the concrete? Probably a silly question I think that it just rests. Its been awhile since I have poured concrete but you just build a frame check the level mix and pour right?
They sit on top and yes it is just a frame well a little more to it but yes.

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
Ok awesome. Might be over to get over to Lowes in time to get concrete Ive got a haul to the store though hour and a half round trip.
We have to figure how to get accurate measurement and the design of the landing before you figure the concrete needed?

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
Second is the removable board to make stair removal easier for me after we built the platform in the fall.
With a long level you can just draw a plumb line down from the edge of the deck and across the house and then all math can be done from that.

·
retired framer
61,627 Posts
Is this to get the completely accurate measurement of the deck heigh to the Landing. Sorry If I am misunderstanding I also may have messed up 112" was the height to the landing platform to the ground would be the 112" plus the width of the paver that I measured. paver is just under 1/1/2" of the ground the wood that the stairs rest on rises about 1 1/3rd inch off of the ground.
Yes we are after and for you to figure a good height for the top of the side walk from the corner to the stairs.
Then we need and exact height from that to the top of the deck
We can make almost anything work but it might not be a nice round number like 7" risers.

1 - 20 of 512 Posts