DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New shower cast iron pipe

572 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Glassit
We recently bought a 1960's house and have started working on renovating the basement bathroom. The bathroom is on concrete slab and the drain lines are made out of cast iron (photos below). We are replacing the shower and will be adding in a tiled floor before reinstalling the toilet. Here's the strategy I've developed so far, but am looking to see if I am on the right track.

For the toilet, I'm planning to remove the old flange and install an adapter to connect a new PVC flange to the existing cast iron pipe (like this) to account for the height of the new floor.

For the shower, it doesn't seem like there is a great option for connecting a new drain to the existing line. Although I'd rather not open up the floor, it seems like the best option is to open it up past the p trap and connect the cast iron to PVC using a Fernco or similar coupler. Another perk of opening the floor would be that we could center the drain and use a prefab shower pan. Right now it's awkwardly off center so we'd have to go with a custom pan.

Any thoughts on this approach or suggestions for other ways to go about it? Thanks in advance!

Sinkhole Fluid Circle Gas Soil
Gas Circle Plumbing Pipe Concrete
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Naildriver
23,233 Posts
Definitely break some concrete to, as you say, see what is there, connect your new drain to the old cast iron, and relocate it to a new position to suit a standard shower pan. Can you take some pictures standing back so we can see the entire shower pan? It may help.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely break some concrete to, as you say, see what is there, connect your new drain to the old cast iron, and relocate it to a new position to suit a standard shower pan. Can you take some pictures standing back so we can see the entire shower pan? It may help.
Thanks Chandler. Here are some more photos from a little further back

Attachments

· Registered
159 Posts
My basement tub is a similar setup, not looking forward to redoing that at some point. I've always used Schluter but for this one I'd be tempted to Redgard right over the concrete, after prepping, and seal to the flange with industrial-grade silicone like Dowsil, if the slope works (and after testing for adhesion). But I'm not a tile guy, just something to consider. Thinset won't adhere to silicone so consider then when applying under tiles anywhere and keep it to the minimum amount needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.