DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm from Casa Grande, AZ. and I just replaced the sewer pipes in my back yard, the home was built in 1954. A neighbor said I could pour salt (water softener salt) in my trench before I cover it up, to prevent roots from ever getting into my pipes. I have a huge pine tree in my back yard and a huge palm tree. They are approximately 20 feet from the trench. When I dug up the old pipe, there was no roots in the pipes. They were just old Orangeburg pipe that were brittle and collapsed.

I appreciate any and all replies.

Wondering if I should do it or not.

Thanks

Big Lare

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,061 Posts
Is this neighbor a friend, or just pulling your leg a bit?

Salting the ground will keep all vegetation (lawn) from growing too.

And if there were no roots anywhere near the old piping, what makes the neighbor think that there ever will be?

Don't waste your money on this idea.

ED

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My neighbor works for the City and said that's what they do at his work. I do have some roots in the trench but none of them got into the my pipe. I just want to make sure none of them ever find their way into it in the future. And I also want to make sure that the salt will not, over time, deteriorate the ABS pipe I installed.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Some tree species root diameter can be approximated by canopy diameter. Check with you county/state extension service for professional information. Save the salt for making -- home made ice cream.

·
Usually Confused
7,596 Posts
Although all soils have a natural salinity, I would be worried that adding rock salt in sufficient quantity would be toxic to your trees. It would probably be too deep to immediately affect grass or plants, but may leach up over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts