DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meeting the roofer today to discuss payment but things don't look right.

Shingles are lifted everywhere (maybe because it it cold and they will settle in when it warms up?)
Sidewall siding is all messed up and got me thinking. I'm 100% sure they didn't remove the siding to flash because I saw the guy sliding the step flash under the siding and later thought how the did he not hit the j-channel nails when he slid it in. How did he get the ice shield up and under?
Siding where you see the white flashing is just blowing in the breeze. Not attache to anything.
Have no clue what is under that chimney but he covered it up nice with that metal. There is a stone chimney on the other side that looks like it is just all tarred up, I don't see any counter flash at all.
No idea about where you see the grey siding either but guessing it was just tucked under.
Ridge caps are all nailed right on the tar line, that doesn't seem right.
Those boards you see were from a porch deck that needs to stay. I asked him what he planned on doing to finish and he said it wasn't figured in the bid and If I wanted he would just screw/seal a 2x12 down on the new shingles and attach the deck to that. I'm not liking that idea but what else can you do? I would have thought they would have built a curb to attach deck to when it was all open. I know he saw how the deck was when he bid it but never addressed it.

I'm not sure how to go about addressing all of this with him but it doesn't look good at all. Odd thing is that he's been in business 20+ years and I saw another job he did that looked okay from the ground. His bid was right in line with others so it wasn't a "you get what you pay for situation"

Help me out here. The stuff you see in the pics can't be normal right?
BTW, I have limited knowledge of roofing, that is why I hired a pro.

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,132 Posts
If I Were the contractor I would be ashamed to ask for payment.

That ain't finished correctly in many ways.

Raised shingles are a sign of age most often, or not nailed correct.

That J channel looks like a DRUNKEN SQUIRREL installed it.

I am not sure what was done around the chimney, but it looks funky too.

Get yourself an inspection done by a code enforcement before paying for this mess.

ED

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll have to find a roof inspector in my area. The wavy siding is nuts. He claims it was like that but they had to pull it out when they did the rip-off and to put the new step flash in.

Here is a detail of the dormer corner. Same corner that you see in the wavy siding pic. What you see is white flash on top of shingle butting to nowhere. It goes up the siding to the left of this but was just cut off here. The old flash is still there but it has a nice sawzall cut in it. That's gonna leak. There is flash going down the side and under the shingle but it does no good with that hole there.
BTW This is finish look. I didn't pull anything back to get this picture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and here are two more. I pulled a small piece of siding off that same wall to look at the flash. No water guard, no nothing. Just new flash tied into old and I guess it didn't matter that there was a 1 inch gap between the two. Siding will cover that. What would you do? Is there any code on step flash detail?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I wouldn't be discussing payment with this guy. I would be seeing a lawyer to file a suit to collect Any money you already paid him, money for the damaged siding and any other expenses you have incurred including the attorney fees. Then I would go hire a real roofing contractor have the whole thing ripped off and start over. I don't think there is any fixing this . My 20 year old roof looked better than this . The new one looks great.

·
Registered
913 Posts
the shingles should lay down, it looks like its still cold where you are.
the flashings do not look like they were replaced or reused properly, theyll need to remove and reinstall the siding properly. im not a huge fan of that style of chimney flashing, but it may be the norm in your area.
its relatively minor, fixable stuff.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,132 Posts
That looks like an incomplete job to me.

I would not be paying as jimn says this is time for a major legal battle.

I do hope that any contract you signed has a satisfaction clause, as well as not paying any money up-front .

It is reminiscent of a used car lot back years ago putting sawdust in a howling differential to quieten it enough to sell it to someone, and the car gets a couple of hundred miles away before it craps out and quits.

These rotted old things should have been repaired not covered up .

I wish you good luck getting satisfaction from this scab.

ED

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Well he gave you a new roof. But the flashing is a another issue. I wouldn't pay it all, I would definitely hold back some funds. Going to be hard to get him back after you pay him. Hopefully you asked for all the flashings to be replaced? I'm not a roofer but I've been a contractor for over thirty years. I'd have a hard time pulling my checkbook out until its right

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
No payment, make them either fix it or pay someone to do a proper job. Make sure you get everything in writing or record the conversation for you to type out. Also plenty of pictures. If they do not fix, send everything to the state licensing board and Attorney General.

I would be livid if that happened to my house. I cannot blame you for being upset.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
That looks like an incomplete job to me.

I would not be paying as jimn says this is time for a major legal battle.

I do hope that any contract you signed has a satisfaction clause, as well as not paying any money up-front .

It is reminiscent of a used car lot back years ago putting sawdust in a howling differential to quieten it enough to sell it to someone, and the car gets a couple of hundred miles away before it craps out and quits.

These rotted old things should have been repaired not covered up .

I wish you good luck getting satisfaction from this scab.

ED
Ed that looks like two Monkeys or a couple of Crack heads did that job. I would probably be in jail if that was my place. Because the guy hired to do the job, would have my boot shoved up you know where.

·
Registered
37,459 Posts
What did the contract say, replace flashing if needed, or replace flashing if needed, huge difference.
Not even sure what those close ups are trying to show or where it is.
Was this a shingle over the old shingles?
Here's how I would have done this.
The siding was installed incorrectly to begin with, there should have been at least a 2" gap between the shingles and the siding.
The siding needed to removed and recut for an added cost.
Not seeing a location and have no idea how cold it is there so it's hard to comment on the shingles not laying flat.
No way should that dormer siding be bowed out like that.
If I showed up and my guys had of done a job that looked like that the foreman would be fired.

Reactions: skygrabber

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,132 Posts
I am going to give the contractor the "benefit of the doubt" and suppose that he does not know that his sub-contracted hired help has did such a lousy job.

Have the contractor accompany you to inspect this mess and see how he reacts, if he offers to have it fixed right, GREAT.

If he still demands payment as a complete job, then it is time for lawyers and such.

Greg: If I was the homeowner more than my boot would be planted "Where the sun don't shine".

ED

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Same here Ed. They would be trying to figure out how to get the Pitchfork that I have for turning leaves out of their rear also.

This is the kind of stuff that drives all of us to get drunk while we vent about it.

Wish that we had a team in the area that could go and help the OP out, by being their muscle.

Sad that we have too many shady contractors that may have been working for someone as a sub, but when they lost their job and went out on their own. Too many are taking more then they can do, by not knowing their limits.

Even I know when I am in over my head on some projects and start calling local small businesses that handle certain trades.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What did the contract say, replace flashing if needed, or replace flashing if needed, huge difference.
Not even sure what those close ups are trying to show or where it is.
Was this a shingle over the old shingles?
Here's how I would have done this.
The siding was installed incorrectly to begin with, there should have been at least a 2" gap between the shingles and the siding.
The siding needed to removed and recut for an added cost.
Not seeing a location and have no idea how cold it is there so it's hard to comment on the shingles not laying flat.
No way should that dormer siding be bowed out like that.
If I showed up and my guys had of done a job that looked like that the foreman would be fired.
Contract reads: properly flash all penetrations as needed. That's it.
It was a two layer tear off down to sheeting.
First closeup is right at the bottom corner of the dormer. there is about a 2" sawzall cut that would allow any water that ran down the side flashing to go under everything right to the deck.
The other 2 are about 1/2 way up that same wavy wall where they tried to attach the new step flash to the old but left about an inch of gap which held the siding out. New step flash was just tucked under j-channel it only extends up about 1.5" so any water trapped in J could roll up and over flash. Isn't 4" code?
As far as an extra for cutting siding to get a gap. The company owner was on the roof and did the estimate. He should have noticed that the siding was rammed up against the old and figured it in the bid, not add it as an extra or just jam it back in like he did.

There is other stuff too like some new sheeting that just goes out over an overhang and is not tied into anything on the fascia so it just bows down when you step on it.
It was in the 50's when the did the job so it should lat down better but some of the shingles are butted so close that they want to overlap which is also causing lift.
His 'crew' was mostly concerned about how fast they went. Think they might have been paid by the square. On the first day when I stopped to see them and they had it mostly torn off, I asked the foreman about how they planned on reattaching the deck they tore off, he said he didn't know and didn't have time to talk to me about it. Next day they had it all shingled underneath and the deck stringers were just laying on top with no provisions to reattach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, the contract was never signed. He sent it to me in a text and they just started. He has no money of mine. He wants to settle up but doesn't seem too concerned about all the loose ends or how crappy it looks or the fact that some areas will fail over time. I have no problem paying but want it fixed right, not just patched up to look better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shody job, no money, he can try and sue you in court for payment, but I get a feeling that the jusge will side with you on this.

The sad thing is that you just made a new friend who is going to stalk you until they get paid.
Yeah, that's what stinks. I'm left with a shoddy job and a guy that might do something goofy later. I'd rather just negotiate and get the job done right.

Just stupid stuff like this pic that ticks me. They lost the old piece of soffit so they just left it all open with a piece of junk metal hanging because they don't know how to fix it. Also notice how the plywood is cut short and not attached to anything

·
Registered
29 Posts
That roof is protecting your investment...your home. How are you going to feel when your siding is laying in your neighbors yard after a wind storm or you have water streaming down your walls from leaks?

I'd have a real problem with paying. I'd tell him to come take his shingles back because I don't want them.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,132 Posts
Same here Ed. They would be trying to figure out how to get the Pitchfork that I have for turning leaves out of their rear also.

This is the kind of stuff that drives all of us to get drunk while we vent about it.

Wish that we had a team in the area that could go and help the OP out, by being their muscle.

Sad that we have too many shady contractors that may have been working for someone as a sub, but when they lost their job and went out on their own. Too many are taking more then they can do, by not knowing their limits.

Even I know when I am in over my head on some projects and start calling local small businesses that handle certain trades.
That would be my old shingle fork.

ED

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.