DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always do everything myself but this is one job that I decided to simply "pay the man" and forget about it. I know my limits and saving the money by DIY just isn't worth it this time....with that said...

Roofing project details:
Walkable ranch with attached garage- hip roof - Western NY area

Tear off house and attached garage - 2 layers

Re-roof - I believe 29-30SQ
Remove old aluminum soffit and install new vinyl soffit - Approx 255 lineal ft , 22"24" wide

Fascia trim and gutters- Approx 255 lineal ft seamless aluminum

Other details:new bath and kitchen vents, New ridge vent, eliminate current box vent openings, properly vent exposed wood soffit after old soffit is removed, flashing around chimney, new drip edge, 4 new pipe vent flanges, ice shield.

So far I got 6 estimates that range from $13.9K to $19K. Almost all proposals were well written, pretty much exact details on each the same as far as materials and what was to be done. The $13.9k wasn't as detailed, and that contractor rushed through everything. I got a bad vibe from him and his A+ BBB rating from last month was mysteriously downgraded this week to a B-. I tossed his estimate out. 4 of the remaining 5 estimates I received were from contractors that were BBB accredited A+ rated and also had a number very positive reviews on the internet from either google, home advisor, yelp, etc. The 5th had no BBB rating or internet reviews but was highly recommended by very trustworthy friends who used him in the recent past. He wasn't with a "Big Name" roofing company so I expected his estimate to be lower. He was a very straightforward guy that explained everything well and really seemed like he wanted the job with his followup. He came in at $16.5K which was disappointing.

All but one quoted GAF Timberline HD. One quoted Owens Corning. It seems like around this area, GAF is the most popular.

The contractor that I felt most comfortable with based on ratings and gave very detailed proposal included pictures, followed up via email and phone, is the owner, said he will be onsite doing work himself, and basically a no BS kind of guy. He was the only one to notice some minor work that the chimney needed and included it in the proposal. He is also a GAF Master Elite contractor and included System Plus warranty)He came in at $16K and I will probably hire him....but

Before getting any estimates, I was guesstimating around $10K to $12K for this job. needless to say I'm "sticker shocked".

Based on the work needed in the details above, do these estimates seem fair or am I just picking what seem to be the best of the best contractors and getting high $$$ proposals because of that?

Is it wishful thinking that I can get a reputable(not necessarily "big name") contractor to do everything for $12K?

Is hiring a GAF Master Elite contractor and getting System Plus warranty really a good thing?

All the contractors told me the new soffit portion of the job is adding a lot ..about $2000 - $2500. They all agree I can save quite a bit by keeping the existing soffit and they can still properly vent it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

· Premium Member
8,099 Posts
These threads never end up going good. There's just no way for anyone on here to judge whether it's high, low, or just right. Every part of the country is different. Areas where there's lots of competition for roofing jobs, might not be nearly as "high" as areas where there's only a few roofing contractors around. I live in a poor rural area of Ohio and roofs like yours might go for a little bit less but not by much.

You did your due diligence by getting a lot of estimates. Maybe have them adjust their quotes WITHOUT doing the new soffit portion just to see if that gets you closer to your ballpark figure.

· Concrete & Masonry
4,073 Posts
I can't offer much, but don't put too much faith into the BBB, Angie's list, or any other online BS rating system. SOme of the most unscrupulous contractors I've worked with have A+ ratings, and I wouldn't hire them to roof a dog house after seeing their work in real life.

I'd ask around for refferals from frineds/neighbors/etc..., even give a call to a local lumber yard/etc... Once you start getting the same business name 3, 4, 5 times, you can start to feel comfortable with the contractor.........

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You did your due diligence by getting a lot of estimates. Maybe have them adjust their quotes WITHOUT doing the new soffit portion just to see if that gets you closer to your ballpark figure.
Thanks for the quick reply. I actually have 2 more estimates coming next week and I. And that's it! lol

I discussed leaving off the soffit part with the one contractor I felt most comfortable with and he seemed to have good ideas on properly venting the existing soffit. He was going to make an adjustment and we'll see where he comes in at.

All I know is by next week at this time my decision will be made...I dragged this out tooo long...Hell, another couple bad windstorms here and I'll be able to save a fortune on tear off!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't offer much, but don't put too much faith into the BBB, Angie's list, or any other online BS rating system. SOme of the most unscrupulous contractors I've worked with have A+ ratings, and I wouldn't hire them to roof a dog house after seeing their work in real life.

I'd ask around for refferals from frineds/neighbors/etc..., even give a call to a local lumber yard/etc... Once you start getting the same business name 3, 4, 5 times, you can start to feel comfortable with the contractor.........
Unfortunately the few referrals I did get from family + friends never called back after leaving messages requesting an estimate..maybe because they are that busy...but I do like the idea of checking with local lumber yard..thanks!

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Just a thought but you could do the soffit and fascia work yourself. Maybe the gutters too depending on how long the longest runs are and assuming there are "chop and drop" places near by.

"Chop and Drop"= gutter people who come and run your lengths and leave them on the ground along with any accessories you order.

· Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
We had a similar sized roof project done about ten years ago. We selected our contractor not on price but based on asking him to tell us the last three roofing jobs he did, and we talked to the owners. The owners gave positive reviews, which I count as much more significant than Angies list, BBB, or any other pay to play type of review.

When the roofer showed up, he had a crew of Brazilians working for him who spoke limited English. They also spoke limited roofing skills. The project was a total hash until the owner showed up and instructed the roofers how to do the job by showing them proper nailing technique. If he had not shown up, the job would have been a catastrophe. So what I learned is that the foreman of the crew is the key. I don't know how you guarantee who is going to run the job during the selection process, since the company may have multiple crews, and the owner may only do the estimating. Tough business, even harder to select a decent contractor. Maybe the key is to ask EXACTLY who is going to run the job, find out their experience, and get it in the contract, so if the stated foreman fails to show, you can stop the job until the correct foreman does show up.

· Registered
37,499 Posts
If I had to venture a guess just based on how it works around here, most roofers would be subbing out the siding and at least the gutter work so you may be paying twice for one job.
A brake cost about $1700.00 plus all the other needed tools needed, and a gutter machine starts at $5,000 so most find it more cost effective to sub it out.

Reactions: craig11152

· Registered
1,994 Posts
when I was working we had a brake and would have done the soffit and trim but we would have subbed out the gutters. If things were slow we might order a chop and drop then hang the gutters but usually just call the sub for the whole thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.