DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New paint methods

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Gymschu 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some updated ways to do lot of painting. The "roller" method is so archaic compared to whats out there on the market these days. I've got my eye on the "Paint Zoom" as advertised on TV. Any of you have experience with newer methods? By the way, I'm just talking about simple wall & ceiling painting ~ not restoring cabinets or furniture or any fine crafting etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

#4 ·
"Archaic" ha-ha-ha! We actually (from time to time) put on a little display with our archaic brushing/rolling methods against sprayers/power rollers or any other sort of new paint gadgets (paint stick). Each contestant gets a 10 x 12 room with a window, door, and trim to paint around. No one on my crew has ever lost against these new gadgets. We get the room done, are cleaned up and outta the room sometimes before the new gadgets even get started. Raced a paint stick once and the individual got ONE, yes ONE wall done while I cut in and painted an ENTIRE room. Gadgets, schmadgets, it's all marketing hallaballoo that sucks people into opening up their wallets. We call these people, SUCKERS!

#5 · (Edited)
Which PR agency do you work with? It looks great but you should have posted a pic. I promise I will try one since it is only $99. I am force retired from doing painting myself but do estimate and bid jobs for those I trained now. They will be so happy I found this tool. All but one.

Small matter does it come in any other color but blue? One of my painters is rather female and drop dead gorgeous. She is the best trim painter I ever had working for me, but like you suggest, it is time she put the 2-1/2 inch trim brush down and learn to mask off everything including pets---and just spray to Hades and back. She will want/demand one in pink I just know it. And, is there a quantity price? And I know the website shows the deluxe model but is there something for like $5 less that isn't quite so glamorous and is more workplace robust looking?

:eek:

#9 ·
If all of these gadgets worked, more pros would use them. Other than standard sprayers, I never, ever, seen a pro using a gadget. Trust me, if a pro could shave time off a job by using one of these "timesavers", they would be in use. But, they're not. Go ahead, waste your money, you modern man you.

#8 ·
Learning to mask off everything you don't want sprayed is not such a fun learning experience---so some skip it I guess. My fave was buying different size trash bags for the pets to keep the spray off them.

Here fifi, here fido. If I thought I could spray fast enough I just sealed them in contractor bags for a few minutes or hours. If the project was detailed, I would cut leg and tail holes for them and make them hats. Sure most would just put them out of the room or the house but my and client pets got really snarly with exclusion from projects.

Never had major problems but occasional paw prints across poly floors and grand piano tops when brush and rolling. Superglued a soft sculpture of a lounge singer to the top of the Steinway if I couldn't get the paint off the piano and all was good.

#10 · (Edited)
I believe in using the right tool for the right job. Sometimes it is brush and roller and sometimes it is a sprayer and sometimes it is a combination of any of the three.

As far as the paint zoom goes I have not heard anything positive about it other than some funny comments. Wagner makes a similar product at a similar price base that may work well for you. the problem with these types of units are they are made cheap and break, they are not designed for professional use but from a diy stand point they may work ok for the project you are using it for and when you go to use it again it may not work at all that is why they are sometimes considered throw away units.

#14 ·
I'll admit its probably not the most durable machine out there. I think the "pros" use what they have been trained with and what they feel most comfortable with. I agree a brush has its place for the finer work. Lets say you had a high-end spray machine. What would sway you towards a roller Vs sprayer then. Just curious.

#15 ·
Just depends on the situation, it is not always practical to spray. Sometimes all the proper prep that is involved to spray can makes it more suitable to cut and roll, or brush the trim. I prefer to spray when it makes the most sense but if if it costs more time I don't. Spraying in an occupied home often is not worth it.

#16 ·
Spray tends to go everywhere and it takes as long for me to mask off things as it does to just cut and roll. Spray is fine if things are empty and all is to be the same color and so forth.

These toy things like shown have make believe, unregulated compressors with no water filters. They spit and hiss and have no even flow when applying paint. They might be alright for fencing and outdoor furniture but not for serious interior work.

All the parts are plastic with minor exceptions so they are hard to clean and maintain. Total wastes of money in my opinion.

#19 ·
Advice well received :thumbsup:

I just wondered if there really was a better way, but like everybody say's ~ why complicate a simple task. I think part of my Dilemma with the painting process is that I never really took the time to digest some "theory" on the subject, i.e. proper "nap" for the application and/or properly surfacing/preping the area before painting. I think the Paint Zoom might be a candidate for painting small/medium metal enclosures and the like. I build various kinds of electronic gadgetry as part of another interest.

I would still be interested in some methods to more efficiently paint out the ceiling/wall transitions. I just saw an add here for Accu Brush made for that purpose.

Eventually (with a little help) I'll master the painting task because around here a painter wants $600 to paint a 10x12 room that's prepped and ready to paint :eek:

Good thing I kept all my painting supplies.

#20 · (Edited)
I would still be interested in some methods to more efficiently paint out the ceiling/wall transitions. I just saw an add here for Accu Brush made for that purpose.

Eventually (with a little help) I'll master the painting task because around here a painter wants $600 to paint a 10x12 room that's prepped and ready to paint :eek:

Good thing I kept all my painting supplies.
$600 for 120 square feet of primer and two coats of color and trim doesn't sound so bad to me for a pro job but if you can DIY have at it.

You will find that with practice and a nice, quality, 2.5 - 3 inch angled sash brush you will be able to cut in between ceiling and wall and around trim with great speed. In the meantime, use tape I guess. Those Accu Brush type things fall into the category of gimmick mentioned and just cost money you don't need to spend. :yes:

#21 ·
I've used the attached product to do ceilings and I loved it. I found it easy because you can roll a large amount of ceiling without having to hit the tray ever couple feet. There was a big problem with it though...cheap paint. When I loved it I was painting with top quality paint (Benjamin Moore). When I hated it, and eventually had to throw it out was when I switched to cheap paint (Home Depot crap). The cheap paint dried inside the stick and made it leak like crazy. BIG MESS...

Since then, I've taken to the advice of many others here...roller, tray, brush. Easy setup, easy application, easy cleaup, and overall cheap...

http://fp.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopVie...&bg=FFFFFF&nm=BZOpener&err=0&title=&pf=t&fr=t

#22 ·
$600 for a 10 x 12 room, let's break that down.......1 gallon of flat ceiling paint $30, 1-2 gallons of satin latex $80, spackling, sandpaper, 1 quality brush, 2 quality roller covers, tray liners $40, so, right off the bat without even opening a can of paint, you're at $150 for materials. I'd give myself a day to sand, fill holes, prime any bad spots, and paint the ceiling.........allow that all to dry........come back next day and apply 2 coats of Satin Latex on walls........maybe you have a helper you have to pay wages, insurance, comp, etc...........so based on that, the $600 estimate is fairly reasonable. Now, if you have to diy it, you have all those materials to start with and then add in drop cloths, plastic, etc............plus you give up a weekend or a couple workdays..........the $600 isn't so bad now is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.