DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my main breaker, and I was wondering if anyone knew whether consumers power would require an inspection or anything after I replace it. I'm just replacing it with the same size and type. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have the meter pulled, I just want to know if they will require a state instection to turn it back on when I'm only replacing a faulty main. I just want to know what to expect, what the requirements might be. Thanks.

·
Electrician
1,390 Posts
Its different everywhere, I know if I had our power company pull the metre they probably wouldn't put it back on until the inspector said it was good to go.

Call your local inspector and see what they need.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
Its different everywhere, I know if I had our power company pull the metre they probably wouldn't put it back on until the inspector said it was good to go.

Call your local inspector and see what they need.
same in my neck of the woods.

except we spell meter er and not re:whistling2:

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Mind sharing with us why you think you have a faulty main breaker as pulling meters and changing main breakers is fine but a bit out of the skill area for many homeowners.

Also most utilities are not friendly about just any one pulling the meter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had an electrician out, and he said there is a loose/broken connection inside the breaker. We'll lose half the power (brown out) but if we tap or wiggle the breaker it will come back. If we keep it stabilized we don't have a problem.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Ok sounds like you have a problem with the main breaker and I am assuming the electrician said it needed replacement. Don't wiggle it anymore you proved your point ... :)

Many power companies will not reinstall the meter until an inspection is performed.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
just a though.

while you are replacing the main breaker, it's time to take a look at the entire panel and see it it is worth saving.

If you have considered upsizing your service, this would be good time. If the panel is old and possibly obsolete, time for a new panel. if there is a panel of the same main breaker size with more circuits available, might want to consider it.

Main breakers don't go bad very often so I would be checking to see if you haven't been peaking out the capacity of the current service. It can sometimes cost as much to replace a lot of main breakers as it does to replace an entire panel.

just things to think about.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,829 Posts
We had an electrician out, and he said there is a loose/broken connection inside the breaker. We'll lose half the power (brown out) but if we tap or wiggle the breaker it will come back. If we keep it stabilized we don't have a problem.
Why didn't you have the electrician replace while he was there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, so we decided to upgrade to 200 amp service, and get rid of the pushmatic panel. I have an electrician getting everything ready and will be doing it soon. I forgot to ask him this, but all my lighting/outlet circuits are on 15 amp breakers. Can I/should I change those to 20 amp breakers? We got a good deal on a panel and it came with 5 20 amp, single pole breakers, but I currently don't have anything on 20 amp single pole breakers in my box. Thanks again.

·
DIY'er
2,044 Posts
I forgot to ask him this, but all my lighting/outlet circuits are on 15 amp breakers. Can I/should I change those to 20 amp breakers? We got a good deal on a panel and it came with 5 20 amp, single pole breakers, but I currently don't have anything on 20 amp single pole breakers in my box. Thanks again.
Chances are good if they are on 15 amp breakers that they are 14 gauge wire. You can upgrade them if you want, but all the wiring will need to be changed to 12 gauge, for the entire circuit.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,829 Posts
You can only change to 20 amp breakers if you have 12 gauge wire- doubtful. With 14 gauge wire the breakers have to be 15 amp. Souds like you bought a package panel from a big box store. Take the 20 amps back and exchange for 15 amp.

Reactions: halofton15

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chances are good if they are on 15 amp breakers that they are 14 gauge wire. You can upgrade them if you want, but all the wiring will need to be changed to 12 gauge, for the entire circuit.
EWWW! Don't really wanna do that! I'll buy 15 amp breakers, lol! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can only change to 20 amp breakers if you have 12 gauge wire- doubtful. With 14 gauge wire the breakers have to be 15 amp. Souds like you bought a package panel from a big box store. Take the 20 amps back and exchange for 15 amp.
Actually, I bought it from a friend who had bought it to upgrade his service, but then lost his house and never installed it. So idk if I'll be able to return those breakers. But I won't really be out anything so its not a big deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, and I was gonna let u guys know why the main broke in the first place. It is an old panel, a pushmatic, I was told it was probably installed in the 50's. I had asked my bf to run an outlet on a separate circuit for our well pump, since we had an open 15 amp breaker. Well when he did so, he shut the main off a couple times that day, and after he turned it back on the last time, we started having the brownout problem. So we called the electrician out, and he said it wasn't overloading or anything, we just had something broken inside the breaker and it was losing connection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts