DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
removed old light installed new one, but light stays on. There are four black wires in ceiling, three white wires, another set of white that were clamped together and a red wire. my light fixtures has two lights on it. I connected the blacks to the black and the whites to the white, not sure what to do with ground wire on fixtures either, so when i turned power back on lights came on, but now the wall switch wont turn it off. Do I need to do something with the red wire coming from the ceiling?

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you have a red wire, it's probably a 3 wire setup, and the blacks are just passing through and the red is your switch wire. So you were "probably" supposed to connect red and white to your new light. But with my unexperienced non-electrician knowledge, I would have used my electrical pen to test which ones are hot under which circumstance, i.e. if I flip the switch on/off, does the blacks stay hot? Or is the red the hot switched? Whites (unless marked otherwise) should be neutral normally. I am not an electrician, so take my comment with caution!

·
Super Moderator
9,093 Posts
Should have only removed the wires connected to the light fixture and not anything else.
a pic helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts