DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to finish a laundry room and install 8 qplus led potlights in ceiling tile.

There was a regular light in the room already in which i removed and I will draw the power from that electrical box. The current light has travellers running to two light switches on different walls.

I used the same hot and neutral wires as the light had and connected romex to them to the first potlight box. I have two more potlights currently connected along the string.

Upon flipping on the breaker, the potlights don't work. I should have checked the first one I guess before plugging the others in to help with trouble shooting. Connection to the live wires in the electrical box are good. Connection to the LED potlight boxes are solid.

I have regular light switches on the wall, but these are dimmable lights. I do not need the dimmable feature and was planning on just keeping the regular switches.

Could this be the issue? How can I trouble shoot this?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,495 Posts
What color wires did you connect to at the light switch?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
You mentioned two differant switchs ?
this means you have a three way switch,
So the wiring will be different to a standard switch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi,

Yes there are two 3-way switches. But these are all functional before I replaced a standard light with the new LED potlights. Even if I connect the first LED light directly into power, with no switches involved... still does not work.

This tells me the issue is somewhere in the potlights and not a switch issue.... for example my question of if I am required to have a dimmer switch with dimmable lights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim Port...

Black to black, white to white, connected new ground together with other grounds.

When I reconnect the original light, everything works. It's just the new LED lights that don't work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

https://ibb.co/P6YvckX

https://ibb.co/0h599Bd

Very frustrating. I connected the old light fixture but making the connection to the same twist connectors that the first LED potlight is connected to. Flipped the breaker on and, yes, the old light fixture works as it should. The potlights do not work.

I checked the connections in the potlights which can be seen in photo 2, and all seem sound.... I can see the end of each wire in the end of the translucent connector that comes with the LED light.

·
Super Moderator
14,495 Posts
Were the black and white both on the switch originally?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hot wire coming into the box is connected to the 14-3 that runs to a light switch. The red from that wire is connected to another red in a 14-3 that connects to the other switch. The hot from that 14-3 connects to the new romex 14-2 that runs to the first led potlight.

All wiring was in place and functional. I added a 14-2 to come out of the box and give power to the first potlight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was hoping to figure this out, but it seems next step is to cut those stupid push
connectors off in the LED potlight box and connect with twist connectors. Then at least I would be able to tell if power is getting to that box.

·
Super Moderator
21,794 Posts
The black and white from the new light needs to connect to the exact same black and white as the old fixture. I can't tell from your picture if that is true. If it is then the new light is defective. Try connecting your old light to the end of the cable where the LED is connected.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have wired plenty of lights, so I know what needs to be connected to what.

I snipped off the stab in connectors from the LED potlight box. I tested the new romex 14-2 coming out of the electrical box and yes it has power.

I connected black to black and white to white i the new LED potlight box with twist connectors.... nothing.

Frick... a job that should have taken 1 hour has now taken the whole day and still not finished.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So... i grabbed a new potlight and connected and that one works.

So I guess the first potlight in my string is defective... go figures.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And now I'm really pissed.

I bought 8 led potlight fixtures. All had silver wiring (tinned?) except for the last one which is the one I finally got to work. This one had orange copper wire.

Now the copper wired led fixture works, but the two led fixtures branching from it do not work. They have the tinned wiring.

Seriously, what kind of garbage is this and what the hell to do?

·
Electrician
1,401 Posts
Curious to where you bought these lights from.

It is rare for a light not to work out of the box. I could see you getting one dead on arrival but not a bunch of them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Curious to where you bought these lights from.

It is rare for a light not to work out of the box. I could see you getting one dead on arrival but not a bunch of them.
Bought off Amazon. That’s what I thought too but on reading reviews I read some that said for example they bought 9 lights and 4 didn’t work. Don’t know what else to think as I’ll now have to remove all of the boxes from the joists and have a hard time getting my money back.

Since I cut off the stab ins and am using twist connectors and the light #2 and #3 in the chain don’t work...there’s no other possible issue other than defective light as far as I can think of.

https://www.amazon.ca/QPLUS-Recesse...ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts