DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new hanging light fixture with 4 LED lights that was on a dimmer. It made a humming sound so I went to the hardware store and bought a new dimmer made for LED lights and installed it, and the light still hums. Did I do something wrong? The light uses 24.5 watts total and the dimmer switch said it could take up to 150 watts. Dimmer switch is a Lutron Skylark contour 150-watt single pole/3-way CFL-LED dimmer. Coming out of the wall box were 2 black wires. The dimmer had 4 wires coming out of it - 1 black, 1 red, 1 green ground wire, and 1 red with a white stripe. I connected 1 black to 1 black, and the other black to the red wire. The red wire with the white stripe I capped off because this is a single-pole, and the green ground wire I connected to the screw in the back of the box in the wall. The humming sound is coming from the new light at the ceiling. The hanging lights where the LEDs are are not making a sound and the switch/dimmer is silent - the hum is at the ceiling. How can I get this to stop humming? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
The LED driver is probably located in the canopy, and is the most likely source.

I would call the mfg tech support line and see what they have to say. Or simply take it back to where you bought it and return it. Whether you want another one or replace with a different make/model is up to you.

With out the make/model of the light, it is hard to comment otherwise.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I agree with Oso. Call the manufacturer and ask them to specify the dimmer. Not all LED's are the same.

I did a job last fall and the homeowners had purchased LED fixtures for everything and wanted dimmers for all. The manufacturers specified that their lights would only work with a specific dimmer. Even then one light in the bathroom always flashed when the dimmer went down too low.

·
Banned
14,506 Posts
There are LED lights which are made for dimming and some that are not. Are yours "dimmable"

EDIT: Never mind... the package does say "dimmable"

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
There are some leds and dimers out there that do cause noise,
Probably due to some mechanical vibration

This is not really a fault as such,
it is just cheap manufacturing

Try some other brands
and find one that does not do it ?

:whistling2:

·
Registered
10,021 Posts
IMO, buying lighting at Costco is risky. A lot of their product is there for 3 months and then gone. Some of it is from importers, who have no interest in providing support for the product. If you are dealing with one of those, what do you do when you need a part. Lights that have custom glass shades are very troublesome. Replacement glass just is not available. Even finding something close is often impossible.

If the company name is not one of the known mfgs in the lighting business (or whatever product line it is), I try checking them out before buying. If it looks to much like an import co, I won't touch it.

I would take that light back to Costco and ask for my money back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts