DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks all for your replies.
The city officials have done an inspaction last week. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me with the results.

·
Registered
52 Posts
are you waiting for results from the builder or the inspector? Here in NJ, building inspectors either pass or fail inspection on the spot. If fail, they leave the report with the builder with all the items that need to be corrected.

·
Registered
150 Posts
are you waiting for results from the builder or the inspector? Here in NJ, building inspectors either pass or fail inspection on the spot. If fail, they leave the report with the builder with all the items that need to be corrected.
Thats what a was wondering, it the same way in MD, VA, PA, RI, DE, every place I have worked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thats what a was wondering, it the same way in MD, VA, PA, RI, DE, every place I have worked.
Still waiting for the inspection results. No feedback yet and the construction its going ahead. Got the electrical done and also the colling and heating. so it might be ok I guess .

·
6,520 Posts
I would like to know what says this is illegal.
Im not fond of this method but it is used all the time in production framing in the Mid Atlantic region.
The second stud is nailed to the cut one to do the job theat the cut one can no longer do. It is easier and faster than cutting out the bent stud, and actually stronger because noe you have more than a stud.

mcristian72 unless someone can cite a code do not loose any sleep over this one issue.
If a full-height stud is sistered to the saw-kerfed one, there is no problem in most all cases. As ARI001 stated, 602.6 covers the notching requirements and yes, a saw kerf is a notch. If the stud is kerfed and left by itself then it is a clear violation of the aforementioned code.

Mcristian72, you need to go to city hall and request a copy of the inspection report. Advocate for yourself here...Don't just assume that everything is peachy. Make sure the city is holding the builder to task, and make sure that your concerns have been adequately addressed before the house is sheetrocked and it is too late to make corrections.

·
Registered
30 Posts
as for the cut in the studs with a scab....this is to strighten the wall ....sometimes the individual stud will bow after wall errection..this is a common practice and is sheeting is fasten correctly not integrity lost.

·
6,520 Posts
as for the cut in the studs with a scab....this is to strighten the wall ....sometimes the individual stud will bow after wall errection..this is a common practice and is sheeting is fasten correctly not integrity lost.
Although we already covered this, let me reiterate that the stud cannot be cut as described and left alone, sheathing or not. Code has been cited. Although a lot of people seem to subscribe to the method that does not make it ok or code-compliant.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts