DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am in my new home and love it in so many ways. We went with the house with the footprint we loved knowing we had many decorative changes to get done. This is a relocation...new job for husband...new city and state for all. I have decided to stay home for a while and get some of these projects done before looking for new work. We will hire some things out to pros. Trying to determine what I can do myself!

TO Do:
Install Hardwood in entry, office, dining
Change ALL honey oak wood to dark stain or white antique (railings, kitchen and bath cabinets, steps to upstairs, paneled walls and bookshelf in office)
Remove wallpaper and paint half bath
Paint dining room
Painting some old furniture to update
Remove carpet in 2 bathrooms and tile
Paint kitchen
Great room walls...how to decorate such a big space?

Where to start? All cabinets are exactly the same in all 4 baths and kitchen. Honey oak. Go dark or white? Beginning in one bathroom with dark experiment and will try white in the other. Better result goes in the remaining 2. If it looks good enough for kitchen, I will continue. Looking forward to TIPS and IDEAs as I stumble along.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...under way

Good advice. In fact I have started with a piece of furniture that I was considering throwing away so I would not worry about mistakes. I am also gel staining the least used bathroom cabinets. I read gel staining and chalk painting tips until I felt ready to give it a shot. Will post before and after photos to get thoughts on progress and tips to improve results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will keep that in mind. Floors are white and loads of window lighting in kitchen, very open space attached to hearth room with wall of windows. I keep trying to envision the change in both directions...dark and white or all white. Will post pictures before making the change. I do like how bright it is in there and wonder how the dark cabinets will change that. Bathrooms have white counters and very few cabinets.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
If any kitchen cabinets or vanities are to be replaced---do the floor replacement in those rooms before you install new ones--the cabinets should sit ON TOP of your floor--

If you can't afford to replace them before the floors are installed--remove the old and reinstall on top of your new floors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice

I was just sanding near the base of the vanity and wondering how to get to bottom piece without staining carpet...yes carpet in bathroom. We do wish to tile in there so maybe that project is moving up on the time continuum. There is a simple way for me to work around this issue but if I am going to change floor...I will consider the order.

·
First Home N00b
210 Posts
I was just sanding near the base of the vanity and wondering how to get to bottom piece without staining carpet...yes carpet in bathroom. We do wish to tile in there so maybe that project is moving up on the time continuum. There is a simple way for me to work around this issue but if I am going to change floor...I will consider the order.
Your floor should be installed with nearly nothing in the room. Imagine if you were one of these people that do shortcuts and install flooring with cabinets installed, then at later date go to move the cabinets or redesign the layout of the room and boom, there is either old floor or subfloor and you are hunting around praying you can find a match to your newer flooring and hoping you can patch it in a way that doesn't look like complete garbage (both in terms of shape and wear/color).

Yes, I would get carpet out of a bathroom ASAP. Even if you don't feel comfortable doing it, that sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, I agree start small projects first so they are done and out of the way..and once you start the larger projects concentrate on 1 or 2 at a time otherwise your home will look like a war zone…Good Luck

·
JOATMON
15,183 Posts
Do nothing.....unless it's a repair.

Move in....concentrate on the yard.

6 Months later, what you want to do then vs now will most likely be a lot different.

I think one of the biggest mistakes new homeowners make is wanting to do everything up front before move in. My neighbors on both sides did just that....and after the fact admitted they wish they had waited until they moved in to make some of the decisions they did.

·
Exterior Construction
26,629 Posts
Do nothing.....unless it's a repair.

Move in....concentrate on the yard.

6 Months later, what you want to do then vs now will most likely be a lot different.

I think one of the biggest mistakes new homeowners make is wanting to do everything up front before move in. My neighbors on both sides did just that....and after the fact admitted they wish they had waited until they moved in to make some of the decisions they did.
I like this advice right here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts