DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone, I am having some issues with my kitchen sink. Before I write everything down I just want to say that this is my first time owning a home and my wife and I have life in the place for a little over 2 years so I am pretty inexperienced with this stuff.

The Problem: I cannot get the leak to reproduce itself by simply turning the water on or by draining a large amount of water. The baseboard of my kitchen sink is drooping downward and is always damp, secondly there is a trail of water on the ceiling of the basement (not finished) that eventually falls off onto the floor.

Some info about the sink: I have a dual sink with the left side being the disposal and the right side a standard sink. I also have a dishwasher attached to the sink that drains in the same outlet.

What I have done so far: I have dismantled the drain entirely and cleaned them out by running hot water through them (outside) before putting the pieces back together, so no clogs in either side. I have also cleaned out the disposal in the same fashion (yuck) and put it back into place.

I am not sure what steps to take next as this will be the biggest DIY project I have done and more than likely don't have the tools to handle it. I will attach pictures shortly to give everyone a visual of what I am seeing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

This is the baseboard for my kitchen sink

This is the intake for my dual sink

This is the drain pipe for my dual sink

This appears to be the drain for my sink that connects to the drain pipe of the sink

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,375 Posts
Check how your dishwasher drain attaches to the drain, if it is a slow drain, the dishwasher will overpower it, and spill water everywhere.

Also , it looks like you have WHITE mold all over.

Get that remedied before you move in. :biggrin2:

ED

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I find paper towels, or toilet paper useful in checking for leaks. Wrap some paper around suspect pipe/hose. Check again in a day. Might have to refine your search with more paper as you close in on the bad joint.

·
Super Moderator
6,337 Posts
looks like a lot of white sediment on your sprayer line as well. Check you shut offs for leaks. As mentioned, dishwasher etc. It may only show up when you are using water. So check when water is on and dishwasher draining.

Try to find the source of the leak. There are a lot of possibilities there as I see white sediment in a lot of areas which is a sign something is leaking somewhere.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,899 Posts
I find paper towels, or toilet paper useful in checking for leaks. Wrap some paper around suspect pipe/hose. Check again in a day. Might have to refine your search with more paper as you close in on the bad joint.
Spotting where the leak is is the first challenge....could be when thediswasher is used....or a supply leak.

I'd follow SPS's advice above.....however, I like newspaper as it shows moisture very easily...

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Good advice above. What about the outlet? Is that romex going under an outlet plate?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the helpful advice, I am going to run the dishwasher soon after I wrap the intakes/outlets with some paper towels to try and locate this leak. Will post with updates!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
DW usually drains (pumps water out) via a hose into a 'y' fitting in sink drain vertical pipe. Provide us some pics of that.

Ed (de-nagorg) is probably onto something. The hose pushes onto the 'y' connection but needs a hose clamp (or 2) to be very tight. Same for DW side.

The nuts in the drain pipe just above and below that y section must also be tight, but not too tight. If plastic, one might over tighten a nut and it slips over the threads. Amateur might retighten again to point where it seems to grab. In many cases, this is good enough for just a sink draining because pressure is small. But a pro knows that the nut has been stripped and will leak under pressure, as when a DW discharges.

Do your newspaper/paper towel experiment with the DW discharging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts