DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, was looking around for some home improvement sites and stumbled across this one! From what i have read everyone has some great ideas and helpful information so i thought i would ask a quick question.

My wife and i are currently looking at purchasing a house, it has a Laundry room addition that is incomplete and i wanted to get an idea on what would be needed to complete it, cost, things i could do myself etc.

We understand it is an old house, has had some upgrading and a single bedroom added onto the garage, it is defiantly a fixer'uper! But we are excited and thinking it would be fun building and upgrading the house as a whole.

the addition to the garage.

Any information would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

Tristan

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Has the existing work been permitted and inspected - are there building plans? You need to ensure you don't have to tear anything out and re-do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes all work is permitted and inspected
i know i can have a contractor come in and do it all for me, just wondering if there was much i could do myself

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Not knowing what your skills and capabilities are, one cannot advise what you can and cannot do yourself specfically. Looks like a flat roof - that would typically be contracted out. The exterior appears to be stucco, again likley to be contracted out. Setting windows and doors, electrical, interior finishing, flooring - all things you can probably do or figure out. Appears to be slab on grade - so rough plumbing is already mostly in? You can likley finish the plumbing. Hard to tell from the picture what is needed for the room at the garage.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Find quality contractors and pay them to finish. :thumbup:
Yeah, that's one way to go - but kinda goes against the basic intent of this site. :) A project of this size is likely doable via a combination of DIY and hired pros, unless the OP has skills and experience to do it all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts