DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hired professional installer to install unfinished hardwood floor in 2 of our rooms. Because of installation and finishing process, I had not checked out floor closely until now and walked on it. But it is not exactly squeak sound, but when you walk over the floor, I hear sound of wood rubbing or something like that. What can I do? Also, there's few spots with squeak sound too.

The money has been paid full and not sure what I should do.

Because we are in winter season in Seattle, we went with Bona traffic water solution finisher.

·
Registered
37,461 Posts
Need more info.
What was it laid over?
What size joist, free spans?
What type subfloor?
What's the installer say?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hardwood was installed over subfloor (wood)

I don't know what size joist, but it is normal custom made built in 1987.

I don't know "free span". But it is built using real wood.

I have not asked installer yet as I just found these out few hours ago and thought I ask DIY friends.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
First thing, call the installer and have them walk the floor with you--

A new hardwood install in a 30 year old house should not be making noise---but these things can happen.

If the original subfloor was moving and not firmly attached here and there---and the installer did not find those places and renail the loose sheeting---a creak can happen.

If the subfloor was not flat and there is a place or two where the oak bridged a dip--squeaking can occur--

Lots of reasons ---get the installer out and see if it is a big issue---

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
What subfloor do you have?
If plywood, how was it fastened to the joists?
Was the plywood fasteners checked for proper installation/
Was paper installed over the subfloor?
How was the hardwood fastened to the subfloor?
Was the hardwood installed perpendicular to the joists?
Diagonal to the joists?
Or
Parallel to the joists?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went back to room and most annoying sound and biggest noise is squeak. But there's few weak squeak sound, but doesn't seem like coming from subfloor. I guess I need to talk to installer. But it has been difficult with this installer as he changed quality of material on me without letting me from select to 1st grade. It does look pretty from distance, but in close up, I see some noticeable knots and it changed words few times. So, bottom line, I don't know whether he is able to tell me, he is able fix this. I might have to hire someone else.

Also, this was difficult process for us during raining and cold wind that we could not open windows or door to ventilate dust and smell from sealer to finisher.

if I need to hire another professional, who will be good choice to look into this matter and solve the problem?

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
It is hard to live in a house when you have major work like that ---

Remember, this is wood in an existing home--so absolute perfection is not possible--

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
I don't know if they can be stopped without resanding and finishing

The squeaks are under the oak floor--so screws or other fasteners may be needed --then filled,sanded--and finished---

I'm not able to see or hear how bad they are--or if the squeaks are in a main traffic area or will be under furniture--

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, currently, it is exactly as installer left. No furniture has been put into room. But sound seem big. But I do see there's difference between carpet vs hardwood. There seems more echo or open air sound when you talk inside the room after hardwood installation.

I do think, they need to use nail to solve squeak sound. I did mentioned this and they told me, they are putting a lot of nail as they install the floor, squeak will be fixed.

There was one area with squeak before they started and that was resolved. But I don't think they checked other areas as they worked.

If I don't mention, will this be okay? or it is part of their job to look as they install?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, the sub floor was there for years, but you just sent a thousand nails or staples through it. Before going gorilla on your installer, consider checking the joists from below. I guy I worked with firmly made clear to me most squeaks come from movement between the floor and joists. He solved his squeaks with some well placed door shims between the joists and subfloor.

We had similar nuisance with a contractor installed $15/sq.ft. stressed hickory floor. Wood moves with humidity and boards near the wall lifted. Quite honestly, I expected more from this contractor, but as I recall our conversations, I'm happy I don't depend on that job and he has his hands too busy beyond it.

Now several years and seasonal humidity cycles later, I can't find those lifted boards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.