DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 2 ways that I know of, neither of which I have personally done.

I need to install about a dozen ceiling fans into a suspended ceiling. The tiles are 24x48

Should I mount the box to the joists and drop a fan pole through the tile.

---OR---

Should I "hang" a box ( Arlington FBRS420SC-1 ) from the joist and mount the fan directly to it?

I like the idea of the Arlington box, any one do this before and have a preference over the 2 methods?

Here is the kicker, the roof slopes towards the rear of the building and I would have to account for the drop in height if I use the "pole" method. If I use the Arlington box then all fans would be uniform without much thought.

Please advise:thumbup:
TY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe, but $36 a pop? ouch:huh:

The ones I found were in the $24 range.

So are you saying you would mount a box down at the grid if given the choice?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have never installed a fan mount in a drop ceiling before, but I believe the Arlington FBRS420SC-1 or the Westinghouse 0107000 Saf-T-Grid would work just fine. As long as the load is carried back to the joists via cables or chains, it should work.

The Westinghouse bracket, as joecaption poined out, is available on Amazon for about the same price as the Arlington bracket.

I have installed a projector on a drop ceiling and it consisted of a plate that mounted in the grid over the tile, with aircraft cable to the joists supporting the load.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My biggest concern is vibration over the long term.

Will the grid mounted boxes hold up well over the long haul?
I'd hate to slowly shake the grid apart if my fans aren't perfectly balanced.

·
Super Moderator
9,391 Posts
As long as you install the correct braces, like the one listed above, you will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts