DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice about location and system design with new heater. Old heater still works but we are a new gas customer and must install a load.Have 2 full height basement crawl spaces to choose from, both need direct vents, one is under the kitchen & washer, the other is near master bath. Gas line is located by the kitchen, existing electric tank unit is in finished basement utility rm beneath master bath near 2nd crawl space. Kitchen hot water takes forever to heat since its 40-50 ft run from electric htr. If I pick the kitchen for the short gas piping run, the master bath may have long heat up time.

Which location?
Should I keep the existing unit?
Should I think about recirc system?

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
Keep what you have for now just add a recirculation system. When it's time for replacement, I agree, go with a gas water heater with recirculating system closest to your incoming gas line.

How old is current water heater?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, bought the house,built in 1986, about 2 years ago. Probably about 10 years old, which is why we opted to add the water heater with new natural gas service; you have to commit to something to get your initial hook-up. Thanks for the gut response, I think the recirc is the best way to go given the layout, otherwise it might need 2 heaters with segregated hot water piping. How much waste heat does the recirc typically add?

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
How much waste heat does the recirc typically add?
Very little waste involved. They cost about 150-200 dollars at any big box store. You will save on water and gas bill in long run as well. So basicallly pays for itself imo.

Up to you. If you have the extra funds or its going to be a tax refund project do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.