DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are building a new house. Since the house is almost 4000 sq ft, we have to have 2 furnaces and 2 air conditioners. The builder set the second furnace on the second floor. They have not hooked up the air conditioner yet. They set the furnace on a tray and have not hooked up the pipe from the furnce to the drain. Yesterday we saw about 1/2 inch of water in the tray. Does anyone know why? Thanks

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Is the air handler at least hooked up and running? My guess is someone poured some water in the tray, or someone is running the inside unit.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
"They have not hooked up the air conditioner yet."
Perhaps condensate from furnace if hooked up and running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had heavy rain for few days, but how the water from the rain get there. We asked the construction manager and he said it's from the weather moisture. It's still didn't make sense to me. It's lot of water. The unit is not running yet. We didn't even have the electric in the house.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Unit sat out in the rain while it was waiting to be carried inside, or if there is a flue pipe from the roof, or roofing is not completed, you can get rain into the structure. How much rain have you had in the past week, and did you have hard blowing rain from the storms, especially last Saturday that rolled through the Midwest? That can cause it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. We did have several heavy rain in central Ohio in the last 2 weeks. The unit in the house for at least a month. I can't remember exactly but there is at least 1 plastic pipe (maybe 3") hooked up from the furnace to the roof. Like you said maybe the water from the rain get there. The roof is done and we already have insulation in the attic. So is it OK when the builder hook up the pipe to the drain? The water from the rain won't damage the furnace, right?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
No, rain water coming down a 90%eff furnace flue wont hurt it. Best guess is the furnace condensate line isn't hooked up yet so the water went in the pan instead of down the drain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts