DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be getting a new furnace instead of changing the heat exchanger for the 2nd time in 5 years.

3200 sq ft
Up-flow
tied to a lifebreath HRV

Current furnace spec sheet attached.

Any recommendations on brand etc...

Thanks
Willis

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Your attachment was resized, unreadable.

Our hvac guy (who we've used for 3 different houses now) recommended a 92% Trane because it doesn't have all the complexity of the 96%+ units which push repair costs up but is still much more efficient than a regular 80% for a slight price increase.

We like it, though I do kind of miss our 2-stage from the old house. It ran low fire most of the time and the house was always very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
What brand did you have all the trouble with?

I've got 8 Goodman furnaces out there and I've replaced one ignitor in the past 12 years.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
You need to find out why those heat exchangers are failing. Perhaps your ductwork is insufficient for the airflow needed. Replacing the furnace may not make the problem go away....just delay it for a couple of years. While the existing furnace is in place you need to have that aspect of the system checked. If your return air is restricted in anyway this could be an issue, as well as improper gas pressure and mixture. Have you been using the same HVAC contractor for all of these issues?:whistling2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same contractor working on the furnace that installed it in new construction when we had the house built.

Heil furnace.

Will look into the gas mix.
No return air obstructions that I know of, how would you check this? If there is a restriction it has been since the beginning.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Time to call another contractor. Just tell them the situation, what you want and ask them what you should do. Call a couple of contractors and get some opinions from HVAC people who can actually come out and look around. Heat exchangers generally don't fail unless there is a serious design issue in the ducting or some other means of restriction in the air flow. Nonetheless it needs to be determined before you replace it and have it happen yet again to a new unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts