DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting a new front porch built on our house. Everything is coming out great, and I really like my contractor. He seems much more detail oriented than the contractor I used for a 3 season room last year.

However, I am a bit anal, and one thing that bothers me is where the siding on the house meets the front porch roof. I don't notice this on other houses with front porches.

I am ignorant on this stuff, so I apologize in advance. I hope I have my terminology right, but there's the siding, and then I believe j-channel that it's clipped into, then the drip edge below it. However there's a significant gap between the j-channel and drip edge that creates a larger white border along the top edge of the porch roof.

Where the roof meets the siding diagonally there is no gap - just the white j-channel between the siding and roof which is much less noticeable unless you are further from the house and up my drive way.

Is there a better way to do the top edge?

Also, besides the cosmetics, when checking it out through my 2nd floor window I noticed that the j-channel is not nailed to the house. I can literally slip my fingers underneath and the siding easily pulls away.

The job is not complete, but I've let the contractor know I don't like how it looks and was hoping something could be done. Am I wrong? If not, I'd like to educate myself before I talk with him again so that we can come up with a good solution.

Attached are some pics.

I appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
It appears that the installer has run a full sheet of siding into the J-channel. He raised the trim to get his match to the connecting walls. If he didn't do this, and had put the J channel tight to the roof, he would have to split a narrow piece from the top of a sheet, with the nailing strip attached, and this piece would have little strength and gone wavy in time. The way he's done it the lock bead is still attached and adds rigidity to that sheet.

·
Registered
914 Posts
By drip edge are you referring to the apron flashing? That can be made any available colour, white is common.
How many inchs out from the wall does the flashing extend? Anything less than 4" is unacceptable, 5" prefered.
The small gap between the roof and the j channel is a good idea. Allows some drainage, easier replacement of the flashing during your next reroof.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By drip edge are you referring to the apron flashing? That can be made any available colour, white is common.
How many inchs out from the wall does the flashing extend? Anything less than 4" is unacceptable, 5" prefered.
The small gap between the roof and the j channel is a good idea. Allows some drainage, easier replacement of the flashing during your next reroof.
Sorry if the terminology is wrong. By drip edge I mean the piece of plastic that nails to the wall and is shaped like an L to provide a lip over my porch shingles. In my 3rd picture you can see it's nailed to the wall with the leftmost nail in the photo. In the 2nd picture you can see it is probably only an inch or so over the shingles.

I thought he had referred to it as a drip edge but I could be wrong. Is it actually called apron flashing?

So, this is not acceptable? What is the reason it should extend out further over the shingles?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Anything less than 4" is likely to leak in wind driven rain. He may have a larger apron flashing underneath the top course of shingles, the white plastic? May just be for looks. I prefer exposed apron flashing to keep water on top of the assembly, but hidden is common to some areas.

·
11,730 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Doesn't appear to be the correct roof-to-wall flashing (I may be wrong...) with a fastener (galv. coated nails required per siding manufacturer, BTW- not a screw or deck screw- as that looks like a Phillips-head cross on the upper one). Which is also installed too low to the bend in the flashing AND no WRB is present... can you "un-zip" the bottom two courses- if one piece for another picture? Pic of the wall/roof below the chimney to see the "kick-out" flashing there, also... another of the garage security light box would help too.

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.