DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ripping up and old enclosed patio but leaving roof as that is fine. Floor is really beat up and flacking bluestone over concrete bed – not sure how thick the concrete is but will check. I want to replace the floor with patio slabs (such as https://www.techo-bloc.com/shop/slabs/blu-grande-polished/)

What is the best way to approach this?

1. Get a jack hammer and remove old stone and slab and pour a new slab and then set the stones?
2. Get a jack hammer and remove old stone and slab, make a 4 x6” concrete perimeter on the two outside edges then dig 6 inches and build a bed of gravel and sand?
3. Try to just remove the bluestone and rent a concrete grinder - smooth out the concrete slab – and lay a thin layer of sand and set new stone.

·
retired framer
59,864 Posts
2. Get a jack hammer and remove old stone and slab, make a 4 x6” concrete perimeter on the two outside edges then dig 6 inches and build a bed of gravel and sand?

Are building new walls too?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New Jersey - yes there is a frost depth and the will be reusing the pillar footings at the corners. For the concrerte 'suround' I was going to put 4" of crushed rock and then pour the 6" x 4" concrete that I would attach the pressure treated 2x's for the bottom framing. Any thoughts?

·
retired framer
59,864 Posts
New Jersey - yes there is a frost depth and the will be reusing the pillar footings at the corners. For the concrerte 'suround' I was going to put 4" of crushed rock and then pour the 6" x 4" concrete that I would attach the pressure treated 2x's for the bottom framing. Any thoughts?
You need to build the walls with a slip joint so a frost heave would not lift the roof.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
you also need to joint the conc band so it control cracks,,, otherwise you'll have random cracking,,, where in j - north of woodbridge ? alpine ? down at the shore ? so j ? near the gw or outerbridge ? i wouldn't grind a 2" slab & i own the equip

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
9' x 9' is generally max for a 4" slab BUT you're creating an unreinforced 'grade beam',,, even considering you may heat this room, it will likely crack,,, never saw frost deeper than 3" in your area

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nealtw - there are four posts all sitting on footings and plan was to attach new framing for screens between posts. Also, can you explain how you would make a slip joint in this case? I have never used one and limited understanding is that it is only used in cases where you may have movement between two vertical walls.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stadry,

I am ripping out the old slab and will replace with 2 3/8 stone slabs sitting on 6" crushed rock and 1" sand per manufacturers recommendation. They do not recommend placing the slabs on concrete.

What I would like to do is pour a perimeter beam between footings to enclose the area and provide support of the crushed rock and new slabs. This would be 6" wide by 8" deep with some rebar hopefully to limit any cracks ..

Thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.